Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

No wind speed reading

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

No wind speed reading

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

I have a Vantage Vue which has stopped giving me wind speed readings on my console, all I can see is "wind speed 0"
Still receiving direction and outside temp and humidity readings.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what has gone wrong????

Cheers
Brian
MackerelSky
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/FARS
Operating System: Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 x64

Re: No wind speed reading

Post by MackerelSky »

mermaidbeachweather wrote:I have a Vantage Vue which has stopped giving me wind speed readings on my console, all I can see is "wind speed 0"

Cheers
Brian
You didn't mention if the cups were turning or not, but even if they are there could be a problem with the shaft inside is not being 'spun' by the cups. Remove the cups from the anemometer by loosening the set screw. You might even notice that the set screw is a little loose. Put the cups back onto the shaft and make sure to slide them onto the shaft as far as possible and re-tighten the set screw.

That's about all I can offer except if that doesn't work it will probably be your reed switch that has gone bad. I have a VP2 but that's the order of things I would try to get it working.

Brad
Davis VP2/FARS
Cumulus 1.9.4(1092)

McKean Weather
'cause not everyone lives at the airport

mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

MackerelSky wrote:
mermaidbeachweather wrote:I have a Vantage Vue which has stopped giving me wind speed readings on my console, all I can see is "wind speed 0"

Cheers
Brian
You didn't mention if the cups were turning or not, but even if they are there could be a problem with the shaft inside is not being 'spun' by the cups. Remove the cups from the anemometer by loosening the set screw. You might even notice that the set screw is a little loose. Put the cups back onto the shaft and make sure to slide them onto the shaft as far as possible and re-tighten the set screw.

That's about all I can offer except if that doesn't work it will probably be your reed switch that has gone bad. I have a VP2 but that's the order of things I would try to get it working.

Brad

Thanks for that Brad, yes the cups are still spinning, I also have found my owners manual for the ISS and Davis has suggested the same idea. The biggest hurdle I have to over come is the height factor when I get at the ISS LOL
MackerelSky
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/FARS
Operating System: Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 x64

Post by MackerelSky »

mermaidbeachweather wrote:
MackerelSky wrote:

Cheers
Brian

Brad

Thanks for that Brad, yes the cups are still spinning, I also have found my owners manual for the ISS and Davis has suggested the same idea. The biggest hurdle I have to over come is the height factor when I get at the ISS LOL
Yeah, not much else can go wrong with wind reading.

I suppose you have the unit on the roof or something? Others might chime in as to what else you might want to do for maintenance once you reach the unit and the manual probably has a few tips also, general cleaning, battery change, etc.

All the Best
Davis VP2/FARS
Cumulus 1.9.4(1092)

McKean Weather
'cause not everyone lives at the airport