Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

I/O Error 32 writing to log file

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Option to send wind gust data to Wunderground...

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Should I change WL to 5 minute intervals too?
Well, I would, but it's up to you. If you have a particular reason for having Cumulus and the station logging at different intervals that's fine.

IIRC there is an offset value in that program. If I set it to 0 then it will read data at the same time as Cumulus. As I use VirtualVP that shouldn't present a problem should it?
It shouldn't be a problem at all.
Without suggesting wholesale changes maybe some indication on the main interface of the last time/date the log was written to? An audible alarm when more than 1 capture has been missed would be the icing on the cake.
I'll look into doing something. Easiest would just be to flash the error light when it fails to write to the log. Even just once, because after all, it shouldn't really happen at all.
steve wrote:I'm reluctant to uninstall WL because I would then lose the data and I do like some of its features.
That's fine, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't use WL, it shouldn't affect Cumulus.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Option to send wind gust data to Wunderground...

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Should I change WL to 5 minute intervals too?
Well, I would, but it's up to you. If you have a particular reason for having Cumulus and the station logging at different intervals that's fine.
After a frantic hour trying to work out why WL wouldn't grab data from the logger after changing the archive period to 5 mins I eventually sorted it. Both WL and Cumulus are now reading every 5 mins.
steve wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Without suggesting wholesale changes maybe some indication on the main interface of the last time/date the log was written to? An audible alarm when more than 1 capture has been missed would be the icing on the cake.
I'll look into doing something. Easiest would just be to flash the error light when it fails to write to the log. Even just once, because after all, it shouldn't really happen at all.
A flashing error light works for me. :) We can leave the klaxon for C2. :lol:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Re: I/O Error 32 writing to log file

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Yes, I was using Select-A-Graph that night. Maybe it puts a lock on the log file preventing writes?
Select-A-Graph just opens it for reading, which shouldn't stop it being written, and I've just spent ages rapidly refreshing it with the log at 1-minute intervals, without problem. So it's probably not that.

Anyway, I've done some changes to the way I close the file, and added the error alerting; I'll run with it for a while and then you can have it.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:Select-A-Graph just opens it for reading, which shouldn't stop it being written, and I've just spent ages rapidly refreshing it with the log at 1-minute intervals, without problem. So it's probably not that.
Anyway, I've done some changes to the way I close the file, and added the error alerting; I'll run with it for a while and then you can have it.
Thanks Steve. I might spend some time over the weekend seeing if I can replicate the problem.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

Shortly before 23:00 tonight I selected various options under the View menu - The first 5 plus Select-A-Graph. At 23:01 I checked the Aug09log.txt and the 23:00 entry had not been created. 5 minutes later the 23:05 entry hasn't been created either. One or more of those menu options is definitely causing a problem on my system.

I terminated Cumulus and edited the TimeStamp entry to read the same time/date as my last entry in Aug09log.txt. I saved and exited that file and then started Cumulus. The download progress bar appeared and this time it did show some records had been downloaded.

I opened Aug09log.txt and the missing entries had been created. The entry for 22:55 (the last entry before the problem) had been entered again so I just deleted it. 5 minutes later the log was written to again so all is well again.

Now it's just a case of nailing which of those menu options is causing the log writes to be missed. More over the next few days.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Now it's just a case of nailing which of those menu options is causing the log writes to be missed. More over the next few days.

OK - thanks for that. I'll have a play with the other View items and see if I can break it (although I did have a bit of a play anyway when I was trying Select-A-Graph).
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:OK - thanks for that. I'll have a play with the other View items and see if I can break it (although I did have a bit of a play anyway when I was trying Select-A-Graph).
Hi Steve,

I think I've found what's causing writes to fail. Select the new option you provided (one I asked for if you remember) - This Period.

I chose different dates including today and Cumulus didn't write to the Aug09log.txt at the appointed time when that display was still open. I didn't try closing it before the write was due to see if it would be okay but I think you have enough info to replicate it. Good luck!
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This is rather strange. I can confirm that having 'this period' open at the time of a log write causes the log write to fail. It's the same with 'this year' and 'this month'. But I couldn't get them to fail yesterday. I have changed the log writing code since then, though. Weird. I'll investigate tomorrow.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I was wrong about the same bug being in 'this month' and 'this year'. It's because once the problem with 'this period' occurs, it keeps occurring, despite the changes I did where I hoped it would clear the error after it occurred.

Anyway, I've found the bug in 'this period', it's a cut&paste error. I open the log file for reading twice. I've fixed the error and will upload a new build shortly (but probably tomorrow).

Well done on your detective work!
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for confirming the bug with This Period. I worked my way through each menu option under View and was happy This Year and This Month didn't cause a problem.

I'll avoid using that option until you issue the fix.

Can I just say how pleased I am with the WU Rapid Fire update from Cumulus. Via WeatherLink I had to run a separate process and the interface could not be minimised and insisted on staying on top of WL. This made it almost impossible to use WL facilities. Also, it shutdown for 2 hours at midnight whereas the Cumulus feed is continuous.

The Cumulus upload is 'invisible' and every 5-minute update reaches WU. Quite often with the WL some would be missed. Excellent work!
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.