Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus main screen height

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Paragon
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 hOME PREmium

Post by Paragon »

My Cumulus computer is sick and I am transferring to the wee laptop (10.5" screen) temporarily. The problem is that the Cumulus main screen is taller than the screen and is thus missing a couple of lines at the bottom.

Screen resolution on the laptop is 1366x768, which is the maxium. It is running Windoze 7.

May I change the Cumulus main window size? I must be asking the Wiki the wrong question - I can't find anything on this topic.

An aside: with the usual computer, the Cumulus main window seems to regenerate itself from time to time, moving slightly on the screen. As far as I know I haven't touched it. I expect something else is interfering with it.

Thank you for any help you can give.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus main screen height

Post by steve »

There is no way to configure the Cumulus window size, it is far too hard for me to do this at this point. As it says in the readme.txt, "Cumulus requires a minimum display size of 1024x768. It will work on smaller displays, and tries to cope, but the display will be less than perfect. High DPI settings (greater than 100%) may also cause problems (some text hidden or 'scrunched up')." I have run it on a display that size and it worked OK. As mentioned, perhaps you have a DPI setting above 100%, or perhaps you are using a theme with very large window borders and/or title bar?

The window position at start up is controlled by a third-party component which remembers the position when it was last closed down, controlled by the "Save main window position" setting on the display settings screen. If you have this enabled and it is causing you a problem, you could try disabling it. If the screen is moving while Cumulus is actually running, that may or may not be related to this setting; Cumulus itself does not ever try to move the position of the main window directly.
Steve
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

OK, thanks for that Steve. Cumulus does seem to work, I just can't see the status bar or the line above it.

I am not looking forward to combining the data from this computer with the old data when I fix the other computer.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Paragon wrote:I am not looking forward to combining the data from this computer with the old data when I fix the other computer.
Presumably you still had access to the old data, despite the computer being sick, so you could have just transferred the old data to the laptop and carried on, and then copied it all back again afterwards and carried on - no combining necessary.
Steve
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

steve wrote:Presumably you still had access to the old data, despite the computer being sick
I wish that were so. The Cumulus computer would not restart after a power outage. I have ordered a new power supply that will arrive in a week or so, hopefully. USPS says it is in transit from Austin, TX.

I have not attempted to set up web updating with this little computer, so the web data is stopped at 10:40 last Thursday. It is too hard to install the software and re-discover all the set-up details. I think I'll print out the set-up screens when things are back to "normal".
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

I had another look at the screen resolution and text size settings. I had it set to "medium". When I set it to "smaller", it now fits. Thank you Steve for your advice.

I just need stronger glasses to see it now!