Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weatherlink to Cumulus log converter

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Weatherlink to Cumulus log converter

Post by steve »

This application takes a Weatherlink .wlk file and produces a Cumulus 'monthly' log file from it, as well as the corresponding daily summary entries for dayfile.txt.

It can't do a complete conversion, but most of the fields are generated.

Unzip it to somewhere on your PC, and run the WLconverter program.

It creates log files in the 'Converted' folder using the file names which Cumulus expects. If you run it more than once for the same log file, it will first delete the existing converted file. Copy the generated file to the Cumulus data folder.

It creates 'extra' log files for extra sensor data. If you have no extra sensors, this file can be ignored.

It creates the entries for dayfile.txt in the file of that name, in the 'Converted' folder. It always appends to this file, so if you run it more than once for the same log file, you will have multiple entries for the same day(s). To copy the dayfile.txt entries to Cumulus, copy and paste them into the dayfile.txt file in the Cumulus data folder. Be careful not to introduce blank lines in the Cumulus dayfile.txt file. Once you have the monthly logs and dayfile.txt data installed, you can use the editors in Cumulus (on the 'edit' menu) to generate or update the various high/low data (all-time records etc).

There are likely to be bugs; please check the results carefully, and report any problems here. The program may crash! If you get an error while processing a .wlk file, please zip up the file and attach it to a post here.

Note that neither the converter nor Cumulus can handle data from before January 2000. The converter probably doesn't work with .wlk files from very old versions of Weatherlink (i.e. before version 5.0).

This program is in the public domain; you may do whatever you wish with it. You use the program at your own risk. As always, take backups!

Download link: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Software#Weat ... _Converter
Steve
pkaram
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Weatherlink to Cumulus log converter

Post by pkaram »

Error Message returned while trying to convert .wlk file!
pkaram
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by pkaram »

Conversion Operation halted as the message pop up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks - that's a bug.

I've uploaded v1.1, which hopefully fixes it, to the same place - http://sandaysoft.com/files/WLconverter.zip
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've uploaded v1.2 of the converter. This adds the calculation of the highest hourly rainfall for the day, which the Weatherlink files don't supply directly.
Steve
oman4eva
Weather Station: davis vantage pro 2 plus
Operating System: windows 7

Post by oman4eva »

Hi Steve et al,

I was actually going through the process of converting our old WL data into cumulus via a excel spreadsheet and then found your converter.

I was comparing the conversions that my excel sheet and your program did and found some discrepancy which i wanted to query.

The v1.2 of the converter outputs recent gust, current gust, average wind bearing, wind bearing as their same respective values. Through my reading i thought recent gust and average wind bearing where based on the past 10 minutes where as the current gust and wind bearing were the value for that measurement period (in my case 1 min). Hence when i'd done my conversion i'd left the recent gust and average wind bearing blank and only copied values to the current gust and wind bearing columns. Should the recent gust and average wind bearing be blank?

The v1.2 of the converter also output values for solar radiation and UV index even though i don't believe we had a sensor at that time (outputting the WL record to txt file shows these columns with a "---". The converter gives UV index a value of 2 while solar radiation is given 114. These values remain constant where the records list "---". I assume i'd leave these columns blank.

Max solar radiation and RG-11 rain are given a constant value of 0, i assume this is ok but i did wonder whether it'd be better to leave un-calculable values as blank entries? (I know that max solar rad can be calculated from the Ryan-Stolzenbach formula).

Lastly is it possible to run the converter in batch mode? So i can process 12 years of data in one click instead of 144 individual monthly files.

thanks
oman

ps below are some grabs of the conversion comparisons.

WL Exported data to txt file

Temp Hi Low Out Wind Wind Hi Hi Wind Heat THSW Rain Solar Solar Hi Solar UV Hi Heat Cool In In In In In In Air Wind Wind ISS Arc.
Date Time Out Temp Temp Hum Dew Speed Dir Run Speed Dir Chill Index THW Index Bar Rain Rate Rad. Energy Rad. UV Dose UV D-D D-D Temp Hum Dew Heat EMC Density ET Samp Tx Recept Int.
24/10/01 15:30 --- --- --- --- --- 0.0 --- 0.00 0.0 --- --- --- --- --- 981.7 0.00 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 23.1 53 13.0 23.0 9.71 1.1376 --- --- 1 --- 30
24/10/01 16:00 17.1 17.2 17.1 85 14.5 1.8 S 1.07 4.9 --- 17.1 17.3 17.3 --- 981.5 0.00 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- 0.009 0.000 23.5 51 12.8 23.4 9.36 1.1359 --- --- 1 --- 10

My Excel conversion

Date (dd/mm/yy),Time,Temperature,Humidity,Dew point,Wind speed,Recent high gust,Average wind bearing,Rainfall rate,Rainfall so far,Sea level pressure,Rainfall counter,Inside temperature,Inside humidity,Current gust,Wind chill,Heat Index,UV Index,Solar Radiation,Evapotranspiration,Annual Evapotranspiration,Apparent temperature (AT = Ta + 0.33×e ? 0.70×ws ? 4.00),Max Solar radiation,Hours of sunshine,Wind bearing,RG-11 Rain,Rain Since Midnight,
24/10/2001,15:30,---,---,---,0,,,---,,981.7,,23.1,53,0,---,---,---,---,---,,#VALUE!,---,,FALSE,,,
24/10/2001,16:00,17.1,85,14.5,1.8,,,---,,981.5,,23.5,51,4.9,17.1,17.3,---,---,---,,17.29723072,---,,180,,,

v1.2 Converter

24/10/01,15:30,-1838.0,-3276,-1917.0,0.0,0.0,158,-6553.6,0.0,981.68,0.0,23.1,53,0.0,-1838.0,-1838.0,2,114,6.48,0.00,-4.352E10,0,0.0,158,0.0,0.0
24/10/01,16:00,17.1,85,14.5,1.8,4.9,180,-6553.6,0.0,981.48,0.0,23.5,51,4.9,17.1,17.1,2,114,12.95,0.00,17.2,0,0.0,180,0.0,0.0
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

oman4eva wrote:The v1.2 of the converter outputs recent gust, current gust, average wind bearing, wind bearing as their same respective values. Through my reading i thought recent gust and average wind bearing where based on the past 10 minutes where as the current gust and wind bearing were the value for that measurement period (in my case 1 min). Hence when i'd done my conversion i'd left the recent gust and average wind bearing blank and only copied values to the current gust and wind bearing columns. Should the recent gust and average wind bearing be blank?
I just thought I may as well use the values as they were the closest thing available. Sometimes Cumulus has to do that itself anyway, when using logger data.
The v1.2 of the converter also output values for solar radiation and UV index even though i don't believe we had a sensor at that time (outputting the WL record to txt file shows these columns with a "---". The converter gives UV index a value of 2 while solar radiation is given 114. These values remain constant where the records list "---". I assume i'd leave these columns blank.
Once it gets a valid reading it will continue to use those when the value says 'no reading'. It's difficult to know what to do.
Max solar radiation and RG-11 rain are given a constant value of 0, i assume this is ok but i did wonder whether it'd be better to leave un-calculable values as blank entries? (I know that max solar rad can be calculated from the Ryan-Stolzenbach formula).
Cumulus doesn't have a concept of 'blank', so I used zero. Yes, some of the values at the end of each entry don't have to be there if the entries were created by earlier version of Cumulus, but it's safer to actually put something in there. Leaving fields empty (or putting in invalid strings like '---') towards the start of the entry will definitely cause problems.
Lastly is it possible to run the converter in batch mode? So i can process 12 years of data in one click instead of 144 individual monthly files.
I can do the same with the WL converter that I've done with WD converter, allow an option to process all of the files in the same folder.

I see you also have some missing values which Cumulus has converted to actual numbers. I'll have to put checks in for every value to make sure it doesn't have the 'no reading' value. But again, it's difficult to know what to do as Cumulus has no 'null' value like WL does. I'm open to any suggestions :)
Steve
oman4eva
Weather Station: davis vantage pro 2 plus
Operating System: windows 7

Post by oman4eva »

Thanks Steve,

I'll probably go ahead and start converting the files one by one but let me know if you patch that batch mode in.

It's a shame Cumulus doesn't have a null value, i did wonder if a -9999 value would work but it would probably throw the averages out.

oman
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The idea of not having a null value was that I wanted to be able to throw the files at Excel (or anything else) to do analysis and plot graphs etc. I'll see if I can do some more to the converter over the weekend, including adding the multiple file processing.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I've not looked at the converter but assuming it takes the filename as a parameter a simple 'for /f' loop in cmd.exe will process all the files in a folder for you.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/ntfor.php
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It doesn't take any parameters; it's not a command line program, it has a GUI.
Steve
krmidas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by krmidas »

This worked great for me. I converted a bunch of date from June, 2005 until I started using Cumulus in July of 2010.

Upon re-starting Cumulus, I received an error message about bad data in the dayfile, which turned out to be a blank line. Once I deleted it, all was good.

This was a huge help. No more need to run Weatherlink once a week to keep my archives up to date.

Thanks again!

-Tom
Tom Keramidas, Lake Zurich, IL, USA
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

That's great, I'm pleased it was useful.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:It doesn't take any parameters; it's not a command line program, it has a GUI.
Ah, no quick fix then.
ramsded
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: W10

Post by ramsded »

Hi Steve

I have recently replaced my Weather Monitor II with a VP2, partly because the anemometer and humidity sensors were playing up and also to update my system and use Cumulus which appears far superior to Weatherlink.

I would now like to import my data as far back as I can ( 2000 I believe ) and have tried your new converter v1.2 which is a great tool, but have had some strange results which you may be interested in as you continue your developments.

Where my humidity results were --- in my WLK file I get an output of -3276 and whether I have had any rain or not, a figure of -6553.6 for my rainfall rate. This also I assume affects the dayfile text file as I have some dewpoint values of -1838.

I can use find and replace these values with say 0 if that is appropriate, but would like to understand what is happening.

Also, once the monthly files are included and the dayfile updated, will Cumulus automatically recalculate to display all the high / lows etc in all the various display options, or are additional steps needed to achieve this.

Dave