Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Samsung NP145

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Samsung NP145

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

I have a Samsung NP145 notebook I was wondering if this small computer would be OK to run Cumulus program with a Vantage Vue with a Davis Data logger. Not being very computer savvy, I thought I would put it to the experts in the world of weather???
Regards
Brian
Theme park capital of Australia
8-)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Samsung NP145

Post by steve »

I thought someone might have replied by now. I can't say for certain that Cumulus would run on that particular notebook, but it's requirements aren't high, and I know that a number of people are running it on various notebooks, so I would think there's a good chance.
Steve
mermaidbeachweather

Thanks for the reply Steve, I have Google d the specs and they tell me that in "storage" 160 GB on the hard drive and in memory there is 1 GB.
does these figures make any sense and will there be enough to run Cumulus.

Cheers

Brian 8-)
SpaceWalker
Weather Station: Davis Vantage
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by SpaceWalker »

Brian, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S10 Netbook, which appears to be quite similar to the Samsung N145 Netbook.

The operating software/system on my Lenovo IdeaPad S10 Netbook is Windows XP - it appears Windows 7 Starter might be the operating software/system on your Samsung N145 Netbook.

Although I would not run would not run software on a continuous basis on my netbook (ie: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year - unless some powerful external ventilation was added to the netbook as netbooks have a serious tendency to overheat), I have successfully run both Cumulus and Weather Display weather software on my Lenovo IdeaPad S10 Netbook.

If, as I have read on the Internet, Windows 7 is the Samsung N145 Netbook operating software/system, remember that any weather software has to be installed in the root directory of the hard drive.
R_o_B
There are no Time and Movement if there is no Space.
There are no Movement and Space without Time.
There are no Space and Time without Movement.
But if one of the three exists also the other two exist.
mermaidbeachweather

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your info, I am not computer savvy as I said previously I have had Cumulus working perfectly on my office computer without any problems thanks to Steve's help and also Brisbaneliveweather who help me a lot here in Australia.
So I am a bit dubious to shutting down the reliable computer until I get all my ducks in a row.
Do you have any photo's of your sensors on your property Rob.
My is situated on top of a three storey resort not far from Surfers paradise and is located in Mermaid Beach, i also have my weather site on our website under the location banner at www.montegosandsresort.com.au take a look and you will see that I am about 80 meters from the beach.

Cheers

Brian 8-)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I think Ray down the road from me (Cheadlehulmeweather) runs his Cumulus 24x7 on a Samsung netbook NC10 and has done so for a couple of years.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

160Gb hard drive is easily enough, and 1GB Ram isn't a problem as far as Cumulus is concerned (it normally uses well under 100MB), but I wonder how well Windows 7 runs with that amount of memory?
Steve
mermaidbeachweather

I would like to thank all those who have advised me re this Samsung, I have also received a phone call from Dan at Brisbaneliveweather, very much appreciated.
I spoke to a computer expert in the shopping center and he did not have a clue as to what I was talking about, so its better to ask the experts on this forum.

Cheers

Brian 8-)