Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Exporting monthly log data with header /Importing Davis data

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
oman4eva
Weather Station: davis vantage pro 2 plus
Operating System: windows 7

Exporting monthly log data with header /Importing Davis data

Post by oman4eva »

Hi All,

We have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus station (and previous Davis VP1+) and we're thinking of moving our logging to the Cumulus package given the website advantage.

Some issues with this are:

a) Cumulus wouldn't have access to our old data, i assume this is fixed by exporting all the data from the Davis Weatherlink and then matching up the columns to what Cumulus uses and then importing to cumulus.

b) Cumulus doesn't place a header on its monthly files, this breaks the tradition of our backup protocol where we export each months data to a directory, with the month log having a header. There's obvious manual fixes to this but I'd like to know if there's a way to export the month records with a header.

c) Lastly is it possible to choose what data is saved in these monthly records? It would be best if we could just match the variables that were already recorded in the Davis weatherlink software. We have a long record of these so it would be good to match them.

If anyone knows of solutions to the above i'd love to hear.

Thanks
oman
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Exporting monthly log data with header /Importing Davis

Post by steve »

oman4eva wrote:a) Cumulus wouldn't have access to our old data, i assume this is fixed by exporting all the data from the Davis Weatherlink and then matching up the columns to what Cumulus uses and then importing to cumulus.
Yes. I don't think anyone has done an importer for WL data, BICBW.
b) Cumulus doesn't place a header on its monthly files, this breaks the tradition of our backup protocol where we export each months data to a directory, with the month log having a header. There's obvious manual fixes to this but I'd like to know if there's a way to export the month records with a header.
Not from Cumulus. There's a header file supplied in the installation directory which you could use for a manual approach.
c) Lastly is it possible to choose what data is saved in these monthly records? It would be best if we could just match the variables that were already recorded in the Davis weatherlink software. We have a long record of these so it would be good to match them.
No, the format is fixed, because Cumulus needs the files itself. You could create a file using web tags (which Cumulus would create at the web update interval) and then append that to a log file with a command file. I believe others have done this.
Steve
XBower
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 64b

Re: Exporting monthly log data with header /Importing Davis

Post by XBower »

oman4eva wrote:Hi All,

a) Cumulus wouldn't have access to our old data, i assume this is fixed by exporting all the data from the Davis Weatherlink and then matching up the columns to what Cumulus uses and then importing to cumulus.

If anyone knows of solutions to the above i'd love to hear.

Thanks
oman

Hi.

You've got a PM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- There IS intelligent life on Earth, but I'm only visiting ---
----------------------------------------------------------------------