Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Best way to preserve data for a few days outage

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Meteosat
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 sp2 64bit

Best way to preserve data for a few days outage

Post by Meteosat »

Hello folks,
We need to have the house rewired. :(
It will mean we have no power to the main computer system for possibly a couple of days. I wonder what would be the best procedure to follow to ensure the minimum disruption to the Vantage Vue weather station we have? The console has a battery, and I have a data logger installed.

What would be the best shut down track I wonder?

Not sure how much data can be retained when there is a power outage this long? The data log interval is just 1 minute - so that could be a lot of data!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Best way to preserve data for a few days outage

Post by steve »

Stop Cumulus just before the power goes off, and start it up again after it comes back on. There isn't anything else you can do. It might be a good idea to check the console batteries now and replace them if necessary.

The logger holds 2560 entries, so at an interval of 1 minute, that's about 42 hours. If your power is going to be off for longer than that, and you want to avoid a gap in your data, you'll need to change the logger interval, to say 5 minutes, which will give you nearly 9 days. You can't change the logger interval with Cumulus, the easiest way is to use the Weatherlink software. Note that changing the logging interval clears the logger data, so if you are going to change the logger interval, do it immediately after stopping Cumulus.
Steve
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Huge thanks Steve
I'll see if I can negotiate a lesser time slot for that ring circuit
cheers
Touchtone
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Post by Touchtone »

Also when your power is restored & everything is up & running again, make sure you open Cumulus first so that it can get the stored data from the station before you reset the logger interval back to the setting you were originally using.
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Touchtone wrote:Also when your power is restored & everything is up & running again, make sure you open Cumulus first so that it can get the stored data from the station before you reset the logger interval back to the setting you were originally using.
Thanks