Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

3.12 "Incompatible Logger"

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
wxmeddler
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (24hrFARS)
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

3.12 "Incompatible Logger"

Post by wxmeddler »

So after 7 long years of VP1 I finally went ahead and got a VP2-24hr FARS. I did some research and took note of the firmware version when it first booted (ie. hard restart). Sure enough it's 3.12 (manufactured 03/2013). But I couldn't get any software to talk to it. Not cumulus, not WeatherLink, the firmware update executable gave me a "model number does not match" error, which means it obviously talked to the console but error'd out.

So in a last effort I hard restarted the console with the logger plugged in and on the console comes up "incompatible logger". Now it's true that I got the logger back in 2008 or so but is it true that I have to either shell out another 100 to buy a new logger or scream at them and shame them into giving me newer one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I give Davis an earful Monday morning.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Re: 3.12 "Incompatible Logger"

Post by BigOkie »

wxmeddler wrote:So after 7 long years of VP1 I finally went ahead and got a VP2-24hr FARS. I did some research and took note of the firmware version when it first booted (ie. hard restart). Sure enough it's 3.12 (manufactured 03/2013). But I couldn't get any software to talk to it. Not cumulus, not WeatherLink, the firmware update executable gave me a "model number does not match" error, which means it obviously talked to the console but error'd out.

So in a last effort I hard restarted the console with the logger plugged in and on the console comes up "incompatible logger". Now it's true that I got the logger back in 2008 or so but is it true that I have to either shell out another 100 to buy a new logger or scream at them and shame them into giving me newer one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I give Davis an earful Monday morning.
IIRC the VP1 logger isn't compatible with the VP2 station, even on the older firmware.

I might be wrong however...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'm not sure whether there's a difference between loggers for a VP1 and a VP2, but even older loggers for a VP2 aren't compatible with the latest ("green dot") VP2 consoles.

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... &faqid=121
Steve
belfryboy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 envoy 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by belfryboy »

The original VP1 logger was compatible with the VP2 and Vue until fairly recently, Davis claim that hardware changes made to the consoles meant that this was no longer the case. For more information on this there is a long thread on the WXforum.org in the Davis instruments section.

I would contact your local dealer, or Davis and find out what their current replacement policy is.
wxmeddler
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 (24hrFARS)
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

Post by wxmeddler »

Called Davis today and they are sending me a new compatible one in return for the old one without charge.
Touchtone
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Post by Touchtone »

wxmeddler wrote:Called Davis today and they are sending me a new compatible one in return for the old one without charge.
You would have to agree that is a very good response from Davis & highly commendable to say the least.