Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

VP2 Diagnostics

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: VP2 Diagnostics

Post by Mapantz »

lol nope

Back to channel 1 again. :lol:
dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Post by dazza1223 »

:D :D :D now try all them step on channel 7 :P
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

VP2/Vue wireless 'channels' are just different time delays on the same set of frequencies. The only time that changing channels helps (other than by coincidence) is if you have another Davis station within range broadcasting on the same channel.

First step in trying to troubleshoot reception issues is to look at the average RSSI value for that transmitter. See the top right parameter (4) in the second wireless diagnostic screen - https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davi ... monitoring might help.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Coming back to this.. I have done so many things to try and work out why I have been getting so many missed packets, and CRC errors, but to no avail.

Yesterday, for example, a total of 540 missed packets and 212 CRC errors, which is pretty bad. RSSI for the ISS shows many dashed out updates, and lots below 20. The console is only about 60' from the ISS and only a window separates them. I always had a value of 50 - 59 before the problems started, so I'm starting to wonder if the ISS is beginning to pack up?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Have you checked the ISS board for water ingress damage?
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Since midnight I have 237 missed packets and 147 CRC errors. Percentage of good packets is 98%.

This is from two transmitters - ISS and anemometer. I never concern myself with anything other than overall good packet percentage. What’s yours?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Post by dazza1223 »

Maybe check the corrosion around where the antenna sit onto the ISS board is a little solder joint if you take the ISS board out the turn the board around you will see a solder joint sometimes I've seen them break up
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I've been keeping an eye on things for now, but I did spot something weird..

At 12pm the total missed packets was 176.

At the next update, 15 minutes later, that dropped to 152. How is that even possible if it is a running total?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I've had my diagnostics screen open for a day or two now, and have done a huge amount of checking to try and get to the bottom of the issue.. I may have finally worked out what the issue was?!

I'm 99.9% sure that WiFi 6 is responsible. It coincided with when I bought a new router.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Interesting, is your router close to the console?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Mapantz wrote: Mon 06 Dec 2021 12:19 pm At 12pm the total missed packets was 176.

At the next update, 15 minutes later, that dropped to 152. How is that even possible if it is a running total?
It shouldn't happen, unless... the count resets daily, and when the console clock is set. Did you restart CMX during that time, and you have set console clock enabled?

Otherwise can you switch on data logging and look out for the counter decrementing and post the log - I recently put in a correction for the Davis protocol bug where it sends a negative number if the count exceeds 32768. That should only happen towards the end of the day though.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 08 Dec 2021 9:20 am Interesting, is your router close to the console?
It's about 5ft away.

It's been like that for almost 6 years without an issue. After narrowing it all down, I actually sat here watching the diagnostics screen and enabling WiFi 6 and then disabling it again, rinse and repeat of that. You could straight away see the RSSI value drop to 20 and below and then start dashing out. I left it going and the console would resynch and CRC errors would gather momentum.

Since turning WiFi 6 off altogether - back to normal! 99.2% packet success, no resynchs.

Within the next month or so, the router will be moved to a new location. After waiting 14 years, BT have finally put the cables up on poles for FTTP. An engineer said it wouldn't be long. I will have the box installed in a more convenient place, which means the router will be moved too.

But yeah, WiFi 6 wreaked havoc with my console. :mrgreen:
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Back here again..

Since adding the soil temp/moisture transmitter, its causing all sorts of problems.

Prior to adding it, I solved my reception issues and was getting the best stats I had since owning the station, it was all sorted.

I've tried the new transmitter on channel 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, but the same thing occurs. First thing, the new transmitter is on the same pole as the main ISS transmitter, just 1ft below it. Where the console is located, the reception value is around 30 for the temp/moisture transmitter, and 59 for the main ISS. The temp/moisture reception is also constantly dashing out. Not only that, the anemometer reception is being affected too. It is down to 40 from 59, and that is dashing out a lot too. It's the same on all channels!

If I turn off the transmitter receiving signal on the console, and remove the battery from the new transmitter, all goes back to normal. How can it be affecting the anemometer transmitter when they are on different channels?

Also, if I take the console out to where the transmitters are located, the soil temp/moisture one still dashes out, around every 10 packets or so. The main ISS will run in to the 1000's without a dodgy packet.