Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New user Problems with Oregon Kit.

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Mojos
Weather Station: Oregon WMR 88
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit professional

New user Problems with Oregon Kit.

Post by Mojos »

Hi everyone

We are new to the site and to recording the weather so just assume we know very little about anything!

I bought my wife a weather station kit for Christmas and yes I survived. The original one bought from Amazon was from China and did not work so I returned it and bought our present one from Oregon. The one I ordered was out of stock so they sent me the next best option which is a WMR80 with all the usual sensors and a LW302 that links both a Samsung Note and my desktop to the internet using http://www.osanywhereweather.com. This gives us basic readings with min/max of these readings and stores them.

We seem to have little control over this website and while looking for alternative software found this site. I have downloaded the software and had a go at registering the data off the Oregon site but little happens It get the green battery level with the WMR 928 option but it says ftp not found.

I think it's more than likely my lack of knowledge that is the problem so I would appreciate any advice.

Regards

Mojos
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: New user Problems with Oregon Kit.

Post by steve »

I'm not sure what this means: "had a go at registering the data off the Oregon site" - but if you are trying to get Cumulus to upload your data to that Oregon Scientific web site, then I don't think that will be possible, as it will probably only be for use with their own software.

If you're trying to get Cumulus to read data using the LW302, then similarly I don't think that will be possible, unless the LW302 emulates an actual Oregon Scientific station which is supported by Cumulus.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It appears that neither the WMR80 nor the LW302 have USB connections, so there's no possibility of them working with Cumulus.
Steve
Mojos

Post by Mojos »

Hi Steve thanks for the prompt reply.

The 'Communications set' that comes with the LW301 has a box LW300 that is described as an 'Internet connected hub' this has its own power supply and this is connected by USB to the 'weather sensor receiver' the whole thing is connected to a port on our router using a cable. It appears that the sensors transmit data to the sensor receiver WH200 and this transfers the data via the LW300 via our broadband cable then via the internet to the Oregon software. http://www.osanywhereweather.com for the desktop and an app,anywhereweather for the android phone. I thought it might be possible to pick up this signal with Cumulus? There is a spare USB port on the LW300 I connected this to the USB port on the desktop but it was not recognised by the operating system.

I told you I was new to all this :D It's like them bones them bones!

Regards
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If it was going to work with Cumulus, it would have to be connected directly to the PC via USB and support the WMR100 protocol. So if you can't get it work that way, and I think it's unlikely, then I'm afraid it's not going to work with Cumulus.
Steve
Mojos

Post by Mojos »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice. I've noted that quite a few people are with Oregon devices are successfully using Cumulus. The wireless sensors seem common to all the various units so can you or others in the forum tell me which Oregon systems will work with Cumulus. Oregon have already sent me extra bits free of charge to make up the unit I currently have because the first substitute system they sent me only had one sensor instead of the 3 in my original order.

Regards
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The ones I know about are in the FAQ; WMR88, WMR100, WMR180, WMR200. The 'supported devices' page in the wiki also mentions the WMRS200.
Steve
Mojos

Post by Mojos »

Thanks Steve

I have had words with Oregon and they say there is no stock showing for the WMR 88 but will see if they can locate any.

Thanks for your help.
Mojos

Post by Mojos »

Pleased to say that Oregon in the UK have been very helpful and organised the return of all my original kit for a full refund and I've now got a WMR88 setup. This has now recognised by Cumulus. There are a few issues but slowly working my way through them. I feel one of the main problems is down to a basic lack of knowledge on my side on computer software issues so I can see myself spending time searching through the FAQs for answers.
Snicker
Weather Station: WMR100N
Operating System: Win2012R2

Post by Snicker »

Did you ever try to see if Cumulus was able to communicate with the LW300 USB? If you connected it directly into the PC.
Where there's pleasure... there's always some pain!
-Snicker-