Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

A New WMR200A User.

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
holty1352
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 7

A New WMR200A User.

Post by holty1352 »

First post and as Im new to both the product and Cumulus go easy guys .

I have set it up with 4 additional Temp/ Humidity sensors and hopefully with find someone that can put me on the track to find if I can get another 5 converted to become small "soil temp / moisture" probes or any or all extras for that matter .( Must stay RF ) . I currently live on a mates property that has a small propagation nursery being set up and I am allowed to " play" at my own expense .

Holty..

Slightly off topic
I read a lot of info BEFORE choosing the WMR200A and cannot fault it to date for the price and what is has already achieved I will give it 4.5 .
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: A New WMR200A User.

Post by water01 »

David
holty1352

Post by holty1352 »

Thanks for the links David , I had already read them .

Yes , maybe Im extremely lucky or is more a matter of the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" ? Seldom have I seen or read a forum that is dedicated to happy customers ...

Holty
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Welcome along Holty. I have also owned a WMR200 for the last 18 months or so, and up until very recently, never had any issues with mine.
However, at the end of December I noticed some very high outside temperature readings, over 20°C, which for December in the UK is very wrong.
I just assumed it was a battery issue, but on changing the batteries, the unit then seemed completely dead. Further research led me to the "poor battery contact" issue for these sensors, so on investigating and fixing that issue, the unit still read several degrees higher than it actually was. As a temporary measure, this can be fixed by applying an offset in Cumulus, so I did this while I contacted OS in the UK.
And then begins the terrible experience of OS's customer support in the UK, which basically amounted to nothing, until I complained to the US company. I then received a response to my query about the inaccurate temperature readings of the unit, which talked about how to fix communication issues between the sensor and the base unit, but that isn't the issue I'm having. The tale is still on-going....

But, despite my waffle and issue, the units are great to get you started (if a little expensive as a starter kit), and I have had a lot of fun tinkering, especially with Cumulus and the support of some very helpful lads and lasses on here, just don't expect it to last a long time like the Davis devices seem to. I have looked at upgrading to a Davis (which are very expensive in comparison), but don't believe the hype as there are also many tales of issues with Davis equipment on the internet, although to be fair, their customer service does seem far superior which counts for a lot in resolving issues.
Now where am I going to find the £700 I need for VP2?????
Anyone want to buy an OS WMR 200 for £700? Or make a kind donation of an unwanted/unloved/spare VP2??
KevinF
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by KevinF »

I can't really complain about my WMR200 that I bought last April. Absolutely no problem. The only battery change so far was on the rain gauge. The radiation shield is not really adequate to protect the sensors from sunlight and the consequent high temperature data so I housed that that inside my home made stevenson screen. In general I'm happy with the accuracy so far.
holty1352

Post by holty1352 »

Thanks for the replies . I have been looking at different systems for a while ( 2 years ) even contacting instrument supply companies and offering to get my requirements coded ( at my expense ) ...NOPE .

As I mentioned in my first post Im playing in a mates propagation nursery and need the remote Temp/ Humidity sensor functions more than a 100% perfect weather station . There are currently 3 igloos / shade houses that vary from 32 to 180 square metres in area and will end up with at least the same again . These have their own unique micro climates and the location (Northern Rivers NSW ) can and does vary within a VERY short window . Setting the alarms means I can open / close vents , set watering / misting systems manually to suit BUT would love all this to happen via RF . Yes , I can go out and buy all this "hard wired' off the shelf but only a dead fish swims with the current ... :)

Holty
holty1352

Post by holty1352 »

Just added another 2 Temp / Humidity sensors and a UV . A quick reset and within 2 cycles it found everything . UV is currently 7 which seems about right ? The 6 Temp / Humidity sensors vary in Temp by less than .5 of a degree C and 3% Humidity . This will do me .
Regards ,Holty..
holty1352

Post by holty1352 »

12 months update and very few if any problems . One of the additional 8 THGR810 temp / humidity sensors died very early but all else is working very well . The far sensor ( 80 metres ) may fail to read once every few months BUT signals have to go through a steel shed wall , two steel framed shade houses and a steel mesh fence as well as having to live in an environment with temp variations from 5 to 45 C with humidity readings constantly in the high 90s.

As mentioned in previous post I disposed of the supplied batteries and fitted Lithium Ultra Plus , this may be helping .

Regards and best wishes to all for 2014 ,
Holty..