Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Hangs

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
rhussey
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Cumulus Hangs

Post by rhussey »

I had a NG 265 station and it stoped working so I purchased a WMR200. The Data logger is working, but after about 15 minutes cumulus hangs. It stops sending data, even the realtime files do not update. I am using the latest beta build on XP. I have to go in to task manager and stop the cumulus process and then restart the program.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus Hangs

Post by steve »

Could you do the following, please:

Start Cumulus and turn on the debug log. When it hangs, wait 5 minutes or so and then kill it. Zip up the diags folder and attach it here, together with the debug.log file.

When it hangs, does the whole screen stop updating, including the clock?
Steve
rhussey

Post by rhussey »

Hi Steve

Yes everything stops. Clock and all. When it stops it is random, sometimes 2 min, sometimes 15, but it never runs any longer than that.
I had Vista installed and thought that may be the problem so I reformatted and went to XP. Same results. I uninstalled the beta and went back to the full release, same results.
Everything else on the computer works fine. Although I will try another pc later today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's still doing the WU and Weatherbug 'catch up' at the end of both of the diags files. Those run in separate threads so shouldn't cause the main UI to hang, but it would be worth turning those off, if only to make it clearer what's going on (i.e. start Cumulus, turn 'catch up' off, restart Cumulus). Assuming that doesn't fix it, could you do the same again with the debug log and diags files, please. Could you also let me know the time shown on the Cumulus clock when it hangs, and the time on the PC clock when you kill it.
Steve
rhussey

Post by rhussey »

Time on PC clock was 10:40. ime on Cumulus was 10:30
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There's not really anything there that would explain it hanging. There's a problem with a file that you're getting Cumulus to process:

19/09/2012 10:30:02.562 : Error processing C:\weather\CUtags.phptmp Error: Line too long on line 145

and then an FTP problem (possibly a follow on from the above)

19/09/2012 10:30:55.796 : 10:30:55 AM FTP Error: FTP component not connected

The 'line too long' error normally indicates a problem with a badly-formed web tag, or processing a file that has already been processed. That shouldn't cause it to hang, but you should fix it anyway.

It's possible that the station has stopped sending data; at the end of each debug log is a request for data with no response; but again that shouldn't cause a hang. But given that this problem started when you changed weather stations, I guess it's the most likely explanation. I've seen other cases where a WMR200 just stops sending data.

The very last thing in both of the debug logs is writing the wxnow.txt file. I guess if there was some kind of hard disk problem preventing Windows writing the file, then that might cause a hang. You could try disabling that - add a line

CreateWxnowTxt=0

to the [Station] section of cumulus.ini. It's still going to be writing other files, so you wouldn't really expect this to change anything.
Steve
rhussey

Post by rhussey »

I fixed the CUtags file, no effect.
I ran the weatherlink software and it seems to get the data from the logger fine so I'm at a loss.
I'll try a different PC tonight to see if I get the same results.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Similar problem in this thread, same weather station: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8153

You're not also using USB3 ports, by any chance?
Steve
thomaska
Weather Station: WMR200A
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by thomaska »

I am facing the same problem either with 1.9.2 or with the 1.9.3 latest builds.

I think that the station is connected on USB3 port. I will try to switch it on USB2 port today and check if that might be the problem.

My system is Windows 7 x64.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I have USB3 on my development PC, so at some point I will try to find time to connect my WMR200 to that to see what happens.
Steve
thomaska

Post by thomaska »

It just hangs again.

I am posting the Diag folder files + debug file + today.ini as attachment on the zip file.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Just to be clear - the application stopped responding, or just stopped updating the data?
Steve
thomaska

Post by thomaska »

The application stopped responding. The Not Responding appeared on the header and the only think you can do is to close it from the Task Manager and restart it again.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm afraid I have no idea why this happens, and I can't reproduce it. Cumulus runs for hours at a time with my WMR200. Very occasionally the WMR200 stops sending data, but Cumulus never hangs. If I can't reproduce the problem, I'm afraid I have no way of finding out what the problem is.

When it hangs, could you try unplugging the USB cable?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've produced a build which enables 'freeze checking'. This should pop up a dialogue allowing you to save a bugreport.txt if Cumulus has stopped responding - it should trigger after 60 seconds or so. It may not work if the code has hung in a hardware driver, which is quite possible. But if you could try it and you do manage to get a bugreport.txt file, please attach it here.

It's just a zipped cumulus.exe file, extract it to your Cumulus installation. http://nybbles.co.uk/downloads/Cumulus.zip
Steve