Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Discussion related to Oregon Scientific weather stations...

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Discussion related to Oregon Scientific weather stations...

Post by steve »

... goes in here.
Steve
WEATHERBOB

Re: Discussion related to Oregon Scientific weather stations...

Post by WEATHERBOB »

Will your software work with a WMR-100 STATION AND HOW DO YOU GET IT TO WORK?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

WEATHERBOB wrote:Will your software work with a WMR-100 STATION AND HOW DO YOU GET IT TO WORK?
Sadly not, I'm afraid. Oregon Scientific have given the details of the protocol to a select few, and they have had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I tried contacting Oregon, but got no reply.

Also, I believe it has a USB interface, yes? That would also require work as Cumulus only has serial support currently.

Steve
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've now got hold of a partial spec of the WMR-100 and WMR-200 protocol - someone appears to have reverse engineered it. So this is now a possibility.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

USB should not be a problem, I an running Cumulus and my W918 (serial) via a very inexpensive (15 Euros as close as I remember) Serial to USB adapter. It runs into my USB port and is reported as a COM # (configuarable).

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

But doesn't the driver that makes the USB port look like a serial port only work with the serial to USB adaptor? The difference with the WMR-100 would be that it already has a USB connection.

Steve
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Actually, George, did you have to do anything special to get Cumulus to work OK with that adapter? Any particular settings? I'm talking to someone by email who can't get Cumulus to work reliably with one. It works for about a minute and then stops updating. The diagnostics show data arriving on the emulated serial port but apparently not being passed to Cumulus. I'm baffled.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

Yes USB to USB will not work with my adapter. Let me think about that one for awhile.

No, nothing special with my adapter to run Cumulus. Sounds as if there might be some port or interrupt conflict. Try another port. Again, my adapter is able to set the COM # for a port I know is free all the time and I just set Cumulus for that port as well.

I have experienced some problems with the Oregon unit hanging the adapter when cables get plugged and unplugged. The only way I have found to reset is to disconnect the adapter from the Oregon console as well as from the computer. In other words break the connection at both ends. I think at that point I would remove the mains from the console for thirty seconds. That turns off the serial transmission.

Basically, I have found its a start it and forget it situation even when I shut down the computer or restart it. I will soon run Cumulus as a service so it will restart under all situations. Have you had any experience with it as a service. FreeWX ran as a service without any problems.

By the way Cumulus is running under Microsoft Home Server software ( basically Server 2003.)

Let me know how the USB adapter problem works out.

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

He's tried different ports but it didn't help. It would be interesting to try disconnecting, I'll suggest that. He doesn't seem to have any problem running other weather station software, though, so it does point to something in Cumulus - or the serial driver that I use. I tried using a different serial driver but I couldn't even get that to work at all.

Good to hear it still works with Home Server. I had my server machine running that for while when I was part of the beta test. Then the beta test ended and Microsoft didn't give the beta testers a free copy of the release version, so I had to put XP back on. It occurred to me that Windows 2000 is probably OK too; I don't know why it no longer works with 98.

I was asked once by someone who used Cumulus at a school if I could make it run as a service; I wasn't quite sure what was involved but after a bit of research I got the impression I would have to make some changes? I have it in the startup folder so it runs when the PC reboots.

Steve
Steve
gwheelo

Post by gwheelo »

Microsoft has a service wrapper - it has worked for the three other applications I have tried. I will let you know how it works in a few days.

I liked the Home server so much I popped the money for it. Purchased it in the US from NewEgg.com while they had a promotion. I too was a beta site. There are tons of add-ins now and with the data corruption problem solved in the latest update - it is a winner for me

GW
new weatherman

Post by new weatherman »

Hi to all,
New to this weather subject but have persuaded the good lady to buy me a weather station for Christmas or earlier hopefully!
My choice after much deliberation and internet searching is the WMR100.
I then found this site after following a link from a review of another station and I must say l like the sound of what you are doing and would happily contribute to this software and the cam software.
Then I found this discussion and realised that Cumulus did not support USB based stations, is that still the case or have things moved on since June :?:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm afraid there is still no support for the WMR-100 and WMR-200. I have just started work on adding support for the LaCrosse stations, and after that I may well have a go at the WMR-100 and WMR-200. I seem to find adding support for other weather stations more satisfying than adding new features, even though it can be quite frustrating at times.

Not actually owning one myself makes it a bit more of a challenge, and I'd be relying on willing and patient volunteers to test it for me at every step of the way.

Steve
Steve
new weatherman

Post by new weatherman »

Hi Steve
Thanks for letting me know, I shall keep an eye out for future developments and if I do get the WMR100 I may well offer to do some testing for you.

Thanks
George
igor

Post by igor »

Your software looks beautiful. Very sleek, nice to use.

It would be great to support WMR100, I cannot wait to test it.
TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Post by TgT »

Since WMR200 and WMR100 uses same version of protocol and its also available i see no problem with support, or am i wrong?

hop