Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR928N: Low Battery, Sensor Contact

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
SunDial
Weather Station: OS WMR928N
Operating System: OPi Armbian 5.75 Ubuntu Bionic

WMR928N: Low Battery, Sensor Contact

Post by SunDial »

Hi,

I understand from reading a couple of other posts that one can customise Cumulus MX to use web tags compatible with one's particular PWS. I would like to see if my OS WMR928N is capable of alarming with CMX on a low battery on its sensors and also when contact is lost with a sensor. My question is how does one check what web tags are available for a particular PWS?

Thanks
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: WMR928N: Low Battery, Sensor Contact

Post by water01 »

I think perhaps you have misunderstood. ALL webtags are available for all Weather Stations, it is just some of them do not work with some stations. CumulusMX updates all of them, so it is your choice to use them in a web page, but if you have a FineOffset displaying the batter status of a Davis is rather pointless (but possible it just returns zero/null).

The WiKi has an extensive article on webtags and what they can produce https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Webtags and there are no specific WMR settings at this moment.
David
SunDial

Post by SunDial »

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I just use the standard index.html webpage served up by Cumulus MX and I can see the alarms for sensor contact and low battery are green despite there being failures for both currently. So I can do nothing currently to get these statuses working with my particular PWS then I take it? How would the CMX devs have discovered the web tags available for my PWS? Is it worth me looking into whether or not more tags are available for my particular PWS so I can pass this on to the CMX devs to add to CMX?

Thanks
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Sensor Contact lost was a Fine Offset specific alarm, though it has now been extended to the WLL as well.

The WMR928 does appear to send a battery status, but MX does nothing with it. As the WMR range is obsolete investing any development effort in it is going to be a low priority.
SunDial

Post by SunDial »

Thanks Mark.

Is there anything I can do to help make this happen for myself and other OS WMR928N owners? For example, if I looked at the MX source code, is there existing code for the Fine Offset that I could simply copy and make edits to to make it WMR928N compatible?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The battery status wouldn't too bad to do, the WMR does not really have a concept of sensor contact lost, it just stops sending the data afaik, in which case if it is "core data" (temp, hum) the data stopped alarm will probably trigger.
SunDial

Post by SunDial »

Thanks for you reply and advice, Mark.

Since yesterday, my wind vane and anemometer data are no longer being received by the WMR928 according to what is on the LCD screen, so I am pretty sure the transmitter the sensors share has developed a fault. I also have a low battery on two of the sensors, according to the WMR928. With what you have advised with respect to the WMR928 not having any concept of loss of sensor contact and the core data being an indirect indication, but only from temperature and humidity data losses, this is completely fine and much better than no indication at all.

On the low battery side of things, lowest priority is fine with me and I am grateful of any time spent on it all given the WMR range has been obsolete for some time. :) I just keep my WMR928N going with the various repairs I have been able to carry out on the sensors and transmitters over the years.

Thanks again.