Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Is my WMR88 wind sensor a dud?

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
kitsched
Weather Station: OS WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Is my WMR88 wind sensor a dud?

Post by kitsched »

Howdy!

I purchased my WMR88 in the summer from Amazon DE (I live in Romania) and I've been putting off installing it since then. Mostly due to lack of time and originally I wanted to install it at my parent's house. Finally last week I bit the bullet and put it together. I installed the temperature sensor 5 meters away, the rain sensor is in the garden about 20 meters away and they're working flawlessly as far as I can tell.

The wind sensor however refuses to work. I tried what's suggested in the manual, selecting the wind section on the console and spinning the wind wane and anemometer while holding the whole sensor maybe 1 meter from the console. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. The bad thing is that I can't figure when it's working and why. Maybe I have to hold it in a certain orientation? I tried mounting the sensor 1 meter away from the sensor, on the outside of the window. Of course no data was received.

So, what do you think? Am I the lucky one who received a non functioning wind sensor? And what should I do?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Is my WMR88 wind sensor a dud?

Post by mcrossley »

I'm no expert in that kit, but I think you will have to ask Amazon to replace it, sounds like it was probably faulty from new. You have done obvious things like try new batteries?
kitsched

Post by kitsched »

mcrossley wrote:You have done obvious things like try new batteries?
Of course, I even took my multimeter and measured the bateries so they were alright.

The problem is that since I got it at the begining of June it says...
Dispatched: 29 May 2015
Quantity: 1
This item is no longer eligible for return.
The return window closed on 4 Jul 2015.
View return policy
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

In the UK we have laws that say goods have to be of merchantable quality, and should last a 'reasonable' length of time, no matter what caveats the seller tries to put on the sale. You would expect a weather station to work for at least a year, therefore the seller should replace it. Do you have a similar law?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I think that's just Amazon's additional return policy for if you change your mind within 30 days. If it's faulty you should still be able to return it.
Steve
kitsched

Post by kitsched »

Thanks for the tips. I contacted Amazon and I will keep you updated.
kitsched

Post by kitsched »

Amazon responded, first offering to send me a replacement.

Then the second whoops email came saying that as they don't have this weather station in stock, I should send back the one I have for a refund.

I somehow feel cheated as I have to pay for the return shipping for an item that was faulty out of the box.

And apparently this concludes my short adventure with personal weather stations because I won't be getting another one risking a dud again. :(