Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR928 rain sensor weakness

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

WMR928 rain sensor weakness

Post by laulau »

Hi,
Since a few weeks my 9 year old WMR928 is giving me signs of weakness. :(
My console doesn't receive the rain sensor signals for minutes or hours, and the signals are coming back without doing something. The batteries have been checked and
it happens night and day.
The rain sensor continues to send ? (led blinks) every 48s as it should.
I don't know how to solve this problem. :groan:
Perhaps any advice?

I plan to replace my station, but until to have more financial resources to by a Davis station or to build a Weatherduino pro2 station I think i will go to a WH1080 or WH3080.
Can someone advise me between these two models?

Thanks
Laurent

iceberg
Weather Station: VANTAGE VUE METRIC 2015 MODEL
Operating System: windows 10

Re: WMR928 rain sensor weakness

Post by iceberg »

I WOULD GO FOR THE WH3080. OR THE VANTAGE VUE FROM DAVIS.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Most of the sensors for the 1080 and 3080 are the same, but the 3080 has the additional "Solar Pod" (for Lux and UV). Personally, I don't think Lux or UV is particularly "useful", but the Lux is a "nice to have". Note that it is called "Lux" NOT watts/m2; later versions have an option to convert to watts/m2 but use the wrong conversion factor!

The 3080 Console has a non-touchsceen LCD which is much clearer to read. Personally, I do prefer the 3080, but the price (at least here in UK) seems too high for the additional features, particularly if you plan to use it for only a short time before a WeatherDuino or Davis. Note that the Solar Pod probably CANNOT be used with the WeatherDuino.

Cheers, Alan.
Lonski
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with WLL
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by Lonski »

Dunno if its the same thing, but my rain sensor would not send any data when it rained, so I replaced the data cable from the solar sender and the gauge itself. old age and the environment had made the data cable outer casing perish and was letting water in. So, I went to the local electronics store and got a length of 6 core flat cable and some RJ12/11 (6 core flat cable compatible plugs) and soldered the other end to the rain gauge. All working again without faults. :D