Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR88 Rainrate

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
snowman1977
Weather Station: Oregon Wmr88
Operating System: Win7

WMR88 Rainrate

Post by snowman1977 »

Why does my weather station WMR88 still indicates a value of rainrate for a few hours even though the rain has stopped ?
Is there any option in cumulus that allows to automatically reset the rainrate when rain stops ( maybe tied last raintip ) ?
I think it is unrealistic to indicate still worth rainrate after the rain ended a few hours !
Happy holidays to all ....

Marco
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WMR88 Rainrate

Post by steve »

snowman1977 wrote:Why does my weather station WMR88 still indicates a value of rainrate for a few hours even though the rain has stopped ?
Yes, I think all Oregon Scientific stations take a while to set the rate to zero after the last rain tip - two hours, perhaps? One of the problems with a tipping bucket gauge is that you never really know when the rain has stopped, particularly when the gauge has a large tip size - so I guess they set the delay quite long to allow for this.
Is there any option in cumulus that allows to automatically reset the rainrate when rain stops ( maybe tied last raintip ) ?
No, sorry.
Steve
snowman1977
Weather Station: Oregon Wmr88
Operating System: Win7

Post by snowman1977 »

Steve
thanks for your quick response.
In your opinion, how can I correct this problem?
Have you any suggestions?
Thanks for your attention and sorry my imprecise English.
Greetings
Marco
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

snowman1977 wrote:In your opinion, how can I correct this problem?
Sorry, I have nothing to suggest. My first weather station was an Oregon Scientific (WMR928). It worked in the same way. I didn't see it as a problem, it's just the way the station works, and a consequence of the size of the rain tip. Davis stations do the same thing, but of course they have a much smaller tip and so can reset to zero sooner - approximately 15 minutes after the last recorded tip.
Steve