Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problems with wind sensor

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Tony_J
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Problems with wind sensor

Post by Tony_J »

The wind sensor for my WMR88 has started working intermittently - most of the time the base station gets no readings, but occasional readings come through and the battery level display on the base station shows that it is still getting at least that information from the sensor. Anyone seen this kind of behaviour? Any idea as to the cause? A fresh set of batteries (the old ones measured OK but I changed them anyway) temporarily fixed the problem but a few days later the problem returned.
dunda

Re: Problems with wind sensor

Post by dunda »

Interesting - I have the same problem with my WMR200 and its WGR800 wind sensor. Problem starts two weeks ago. Before that weather station works without problem for two years and half.
I tried with two new battery completes, reset wind sensor, reset main station ... it simply works just some hours per day.
You can check on my blog if you hold a cursor on wind (or wind direction).

I don't have any idea.
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Seems to have spontaneously started working again. I suspect it is down to radio reception quality - gets worse in cold/wet/rainy weather, and although I have direct line of sight between the base station & the sensor it is probably approaching the limit distance-wise. Anyhow, I have now fitted the external solar charged power pack which may help boost the voltage & hence keep the signal level up.
Mortgun
Weather Station: Lacrosse 2208
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Mortgun »

My wind sensor is working intermittently also. I put brand new lithium batteries in it, but that didn't help. I am not happy with my WMR88 and I'm looking for a replacement. My old LaCrosse system was far better. I should not have replaced it.
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Mortgun wrote:My wind sensor is working intermittently also. I put brand new lithium batteries in it, but that didn't help. I am not happy with my WMR88 and I'm looking for a replacement. My old LaCrosse system was far better. I should not have replaced it.
Mine has behaved perfectly since my last post - I have the solar charger/rechargeable battery pack attached now, but I have no easy way of telling whether it just fixed itself of its own accord or whether the solar panel made a difference. Either way, while it is working I am reluctant to change anything!

I suspect I may get fed up with this kind of behaviour in due course and invest in a Davis or similar.
Mortgun
Weather Station: Lacrosse 2208
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Mortgun »

I solved my wind speed reception problem. I bought a fifty foot USB/repeater cable and moved the WMR88 closer to the outdoor sensors. Now the maximum distance is about twenty feet for the wind speed and the temp and rain are closer.

Maybe the 300 feet reception spec was meant to be 300 inches.