Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Beginner errors

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Re: Beginner errors

Post by LindaFNM »

Sorry if I sounded irritated, believe me, I’m not, it isn’t your fault if I’m not up to speed :D . Sometimes I find the wikis hard to follow at the beginning when you’ve no idea at all what you’re doing!! I found the same with Cumulus itself. I tried it years ago and couldn’t understand how it worked before I came back to it a year or so ago.

Now I’ve got the hang of how it works I can use it to help correct data. I will also start to attempt to use FTP. I just found it a lot easier to do one thing at a time and probably started at the wrong end! The big attraction of cumulusutils in the first place was that it was easy to get started and didn’t need any extra knowledge or special skills, and a testament to how ‘easy’ it is that I’ve got something working!
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

OK. Great work so far and I found improvements to make.
Good luck with the next steps.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

Linda,

Please find the list of files here.
If I forgot a file or other issues let me know.
Hans

LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Hans,

Absolutely brilliant!!! Thanks for that.

Makes it very clear and easy to follow and shows what needs to be placed where, and what is updated. If you lack understanding, to start with a step by step ‘do this, in this order’ quick start guide makes a huge difference!

Linda
HansR

Post by HansR »

LindaFNM wrote: Tue 18 Jan 2022 1:04 pm If you lack understanding, to start with a step by step ‘do this, in this order’ quick start guide makes a huge difference!
Absolutely. I tried to do that in the For New Users thread first post. It points to the Wiki for the installation.
Pointers for improvement are always welcome.
Hans

LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Hans,

Just to let you know, I now have a working site including NOAA reports and a moon picture :D . still no WindRose but that’s because of lots of bad data. The YADR is proving very useful for identifying a lot of this, as are the utils logs. I’m very pleased, it’s just what I wanted and very easy to copy the files over now I’m used to it. Thanks very much for the utility.

Linda
HansR

Post by HansR »

:D Good, thanks for the feedback.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Linda,

I did some experimenting myself recently and I may have found something which may be of help. I was able to reproduce the sudden stop of CUtils in the windrose procedure. It sometimes occurs and when it occurs, the swap device appears full (use htop command to show the swap device, if you don't know what swap is, you may want to read this). You may wish to get acquainted with the command htop.

It is known that Mono has memory leakage and therefore a reboot once in a while (let's say once a week or two weeks) may be useful.
The Windrose procedure produces a lot of sublists to be cleared by the garbage collector. This may stress the memory system and reach the swap full situation earlier then expected.

I would advise :
  1. stop CMX and disable (if you use the daemon start/stop)
  2. increase the swap size of your RPi according to this procedure (assuming you have 1 Gb of memory). The default value in your config probably is 100.
  3. Check you made no typo's, save and reboot.
  4. Check with htop you were successful.
  5. enable CMX daemon and start CMX.
  6. then run Cutils with website (windrose enabled!).
  7. Let me know the result (specifically the windrose)
NOTE: this problem of memory leakage probably will be resolved in near future because of changes in the runtime system and major technical overhaul.
Hans

LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Hans,

Thanks for spending time on this on my behalf. That makes a lot of sense as I’ve had ‘ghost’ files left in the data log eg copy of “month”.txt which I’ve had to manually delete, almost as though it’s got stuck somewhere. I’ll take some time later and try what you suggest.

I’m currently struggling with html and css, it’s a bit verbose :D, got a table full of diagrams and notes. I keep telling myself it’s good for my brain…..

Linda
HansR

Post by HansR »

LindaFNM wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 11:53 am I’m currently struggling with html and css, it’s a bit verbose :D, got a table full of diagrams and notes. I keep telling myself it’s good for my brain…..
It is :)
And beside that it is very useful to understand - not necessarily knowing it all - the basic building blocks of the web.
Hans

LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Hans,

Well done :clap: . It took me a while, but I changed the swap file. My website now runs straight through, including the WindRose and much faster! Thank you for solving that.

I'm hoping that may also solve another issue I've been having where periodically the Pi is still running Cumulus but becomes unresponsive to SSH and the keyboard/screen.

Linda
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK :D
LindaFNM wrote: Mon 21 Feb 2022 6:21 pm I'm hoping that may also solve another issue I've been having where periodically the Pi is still running Cumulus but becomes unresponsive to SSH and the keyboard/screen.
Could well be. If if the issue now takes longer to occur it might well be related to memory. And thus to memory leakage as mentioned.
Hans

LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

I can now return to html where I’ve belatedly discovered the ‘inspect’ facility in Edge!