Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Extending Charts in CUtils

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Extending Charts in CUtils

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Just by way of a change I am working on my website and in particular sorting the general charts.

I am quite happy with the way the recent/current charts look but I wanted to improve the range of the long term ALL/Daily charts which look at the dayfile.

It would be helpful to get an improved long term Temperature chart which includes ALL Average Temperature, ALL Feelslike and ALL Dewpoint lines.

Also it would be good to get a long term Solar chart with ALL Solar and ALL Sunhours.

I have tried rather unsuccessfully to set the charts up in CUtilsCharts.def, the main problem is working out what code to use for the code descriptors ie for the average temperature "AverageTemp".

Do you have any suggestions?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Extending Charts in CUtils

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,
AndyKF650 wrote: Thu 16 Dec 2021 7:47 pm ... but I wanted to improve the range of the long term ALL/Daily charts which look at the dayfile.

It would be helpful to get an improved long term Temperature chart which includes ALL Average Temperature, ALL Feelslike and ALL Dewpoint lines.

Also it would be good to get a long term Solar chart with ALL Solar and ALL Sunhours.
As you find in the dayfile entry of the Wiki, the averages are only stored for the the Temperature but not for the Feelslike nor the Dewpoint. That I can't change, but it means you have to do an approximation for the average of those plot parameters which have only min/max available. See below.

Solar hours and total solar radiation are readily available.
AndyKF650 wrote: Thu 16 Dec 2021 7:47 pm I have tried rather unsuccessfully to set the charts up in CUtilsCharts.def, the main problem is working out what code to use for the code descriptors ie for the average temperature "AverageTemp".
Could you post your attempt so far so that I can see what you mean exactly so I can work from there. Could you indicate what your problem is exactly?

Wrt the Feelslike and Dewpoint I would like to point to my suggestion I made in the ChartsCompiler thread for the barometer to mimic the average value line from the min/max values. As the averages are not stored, they really are not available to the user.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Well I am not sure about doing the ALL Solar chart being relatively easy. I have tried using TotalHoursofSunshine, TotalSolarHours, AverageSolarHours and TotalSunshineHours all of which do not work. It would be so much easier to be able to see a list of these variables rather than having to guess.

I have attached the CutilsCharts.def and Cutilslog files to show where my latest attempt failed lines 1037 to 1040 in the log file refer.

I will have a look at the temperature charts shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

All possible plotvariables are explicitly defined in the Wiki for the Charts Definition Language both in the specification and under the heading Plotvariables.

I have looked at your charts (for simplicity you might want to replace this one with the current default and extend from there). For solar I would use:

Code: Select all

Chart AllSolar Title All Solar Radiation daily Sun Hours
	Plot 	ALL SolarRadiation As Column Colour Orange zIndex 50 
	Plot	ALL SunHours As column Colour Gold zIndex 10 Opacity 0.2
EndChart
But I must say that if I use this the result is not correct so I'll get back on this.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, I found an issue: the valuename used by CMX in the alldailysolardata.json for the solar radiation is solarRad.
In the RECENT solardata.json file is SolarRad (note the subtle difference).

The compiler mixes them up (actually, I did of course :( ) and it is a bug.
I'll make a patch.
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Thanks for that information, I will take the remark that I should look in the Plotvariables as a :groan:

That said I have set up the AllSolar chart and now get ALL SunHours and only the Recent SolarRadiation despite trying the lead capital or not.

I have set up the ALLTemperature chart and get a clean log file, no errors, but it does not load on the website, I just get the chart with Loading.... and no information.

I have attached the .def file and the last log file for information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 1:10 pm Thanks for that information, I will take the remark that I should look in the Plotvariables as a :groan:

That said I have set up the AllSolar chart and now get ALL SunHours and only the Recent SolarRadiation despite trying the lead capital or not.
Actually, you can't fix it. What I said about the capital S has to do with the internal translation of the keyword SolarRadiation. So it is an internal translation by the compiler which goes wrong. I am working on it. Don't keep trying and reporting: it won't work.

It takes more time then I thought!
AndyKF650 wrote: Fri 17 Dec 2021 1:10 pm I have set up the ALLTemperature chart and get a clean log file, no errors, but it does not load on the website, I just get the chart with Loading.... and no information.
If you have the solar chart not commented out the whole Highcharts javascript will fail so if you want to try other charts, make sure the solar attempts are commented out.
press F12 to see the console for a check if there are errors in javascript.
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Thanks for that.

The only chart failing to load was the new ALLTemps chart. I deleted the definition for the Solar chart from the .def file and reran the load and still the ALLTemps chart refused to load.

Does this help or is it another issue?
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

Let me first finish this one, it may be related.
Then we take the next. One step at a time ;)

This thing goes to the core of what I am doing so it is a bit deeper thought than I expected.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

I finally made the choice what to change to have the solution with minimal effect (make the change in the language or in the generation).
The easiest solution appeared to be the change of the RECENT keyword 'SolarRadiation' to 'MomentarilySolarRad'.
The executable is published as a patch to 6.7.7

The actual word may change if you come up with a better word which covers the intention, please do think about it.

Keep up the good work of trying every possible branch of keyword combination, highly appreciated.
Note that charts must work when alone in CutilsCharts.def and in combination with other charts and plotvariables within that chart.

I explicitly did not make the generated code have unique generated names - a normal practice when generating code to keep conflict possibilities to a minimum - to keep the code readable and understandable for end users. Both to inspire and to debug :D If you have some understanding of JavaScript I assume the generated code is readable.

Regards,
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Note that there appears to be an anomaly in the HighCharts which makes the last value deviating. Sometimes , some minutes later or after the 10 minute automatic reload it disappears.
I have not found a cause yet (and therefore not a solution).
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I just loaded the patch file and ran the website update.

I expect that I have the ALL Solar keyword wrong at the moment since the attached log file shows a error with no change. If you can let me know the correct phrase I will retry.

I think that the keyword for the RECENT solar should be CurrentSolarRad
HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Sun 19 Dec 2021 2:00 pm Hi Hans

I just loaded the patch file and ran the website update.

I expect that I have the ALL Solar keyword wrong at the moment since the attached log file shows a error with no change. If you can let me know the correct phrase I will retry.

I think that the keyword for the RECENT solar should be CurrentSolarRad
Indeed, in the final I'll make it CurrentSolarRad. Better, thanks.
For the ALL you just use SolarRadiation like it was.

Could you in case of an issue with a chart always put the chart either in a [ code ][ /code ] section or zip the CutilsCharts.def and post it?

And a final remark: if you just change some charts and want to quickly test and debug those, you can use the command:

Code: Select all

utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe CompileOnly
which is really much faster and gives a shorter and therefore easier to read logfile!
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I really should have thought about CompileOnly it makes checking so much easier ;)

However the ALL Solar chart is still not loading. I have tried SolarRadiation, Solarradiation, solarradiation and solarRadiation with no sucess.

The Charts.def and logfile are attached
HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Sun 19 Dec 2021 3:50 pm I really should have thought about CompileOnly it makes checking so much easier ;)
Never too old to learn :D
AndyKF650 wrote: Sun 19 Dec 2021 3:50 pm However the ALL Solar chart is still not loading. I have tried SolarRadiation, Solarradiation, solarradiation and solarRadiation with no sucess.

The Charts.def and logfile are attached
Unfortunately it is two logfiles iso a logfile and a ChartsDef.
Hans