Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Beginner - CumulusUtils installation

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

Benji60
Weather Station: HP1000 Froggit Pro
Operating System: Windows 10

Beginner - CumulusUtils installation

Post by Benji60 »

Hello,
I'm a beginner with linux so maybe my question will be silly but I followed the steps to install CumulusUtils but I must not have understood everything about its installation and operation.

I have Cumulus installed on a raspberry since the beginning of October. Everything works great.
I downloaded CumulusUtils, created the "utils" folder in CumulusMX (same place as "interface", "webfiles"...).
On my root site, I created the requested folders and imported "CUicons".

Then with PuTTY when I enter the command "utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe" I get the following error: -bash: utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe: No such file or directory

As I'm not comfortable with using a raspberry (it's very new for me) but the CumulusMX installation went very well by following the steps, maybe in this case there are some steps I didn't do?

Thanks in advance!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: Beginner - CumulusUtils installation

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi there

I was in a similar place to you a year or so back, whilst you might get stopped from time to time, please persevere.

From your putty access to the RPi you need to navigate to the CumulusMX folder and right click on the folder and select "Open in terminal" this then gets a terminal session going with a line start looking like pi:-/CumulusMX $
then type " utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe website "
Hopefully the program will run and assuming you have set up css and lib files on your web server you should end up with an index.html file which can be opened with the web browser. The utilslog file is your friend and gives all sorts of useful information.
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

Thank you very much for the quick response.
Yes, that's what I do though!
Here is the screenshot:
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

OK
So did you extract the CUtils v670 download file to the "utils " folder If so you should have a RPi screen looking like the attached with utils a sub folder of CumulusMX and the bin file a sub folder of utils. If you only downloaded the patch file "v671" I expect you might have problems as this was not a full download.

The cumulusutils.exe then resides in the bin folder hence the terminal instruction of utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe website
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

Yes indeed everything is in place, but the error is still there (even with the patch).
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

I think your issue is the fact that your CumulusMX folder is not at the correct level. It looks like it is at home/pi/opt/CumulusMX rather than home/pi/CumulusMX. The filing at the "opt" level is not usually used and is not the Pi root folder.

Just a thought how about opening the terminal session from " opt/CumulusMX " and then trying to run the .exe file
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

I think it's good indeed, when I type the command "utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe website", this is what I get.
So now it's supposed to upload to the website?
Capture.JPG
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Well that is starting to go. As the terminal session say you need to install lshw (sudo apt-get install lshw)

Where is your web site going to end up? Do you want it to be seen by everyone in a public hosted site or is it, like mine, just for your own consumption and hosted privately on your RPi?

If private you will also need to install Apache and php and to create the /var/www/html folder on the RPi to hold a CUtils folder which then holds all the files needed for the website.

I have attached my notes on installation and upgrade for CUtils which you may find useful.
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

Indeed, it is progressing!
At first I would like to put it locally (I have already installed PHP and APACHE).
So after installing also what was missing here is what it gives.

However according to your note, in var/www/html/CUtils it should start to upload but it is not yet the case.
I am in chmod 777 and I have the folders: "css lib CUicons and Reports". CUicons comes from the zip file I put there.
Capture.JPG
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

There seems to be a stop on the load, can you check the " utilslog " in the "utils " folder , there may be some indication as to what is not working yet.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

OK, it's going well ;)
Indeed what Any says: just post the logfile of the run you have questions about, so we can all look at it.

With respect to the webserver on the RPi - as that is apparently what you want to realise - you are also running CMX on, there are some guys (Andy is one of them) who know better what to do than I, so I'll jump in when core CumulusUtils is the issue.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

Thank you for your help!
So after consulting the log file I saw that my txt file from October was problematic, which is normal because I had touched it.
Anyway, I put back the uncorrected version and now it seems to work.
At least it says "Ready..." but still no upload in my /var/www/html/CUtils.
I must be almost there!
Last edited by Benji60 on Tue 16 Nov 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

A further thought, have you setup the internet setting on CMX? I am sure it is in the CUtils wiki but the attached screen shot may help.

You do not need to FTP any files just make sure you use local copy and send the files to your website location on the RPi in my location that is var/www/html/CUtils.
Then set up the interval settings to get the various realtime and graph files onto your server location by ticking the generate and copy tick boxes.
The files will then automatically transfer to the web location and then be used by the CUtils program.
Benji60

Post by Benji60 »

Super indeed it works well ! there are all the json files + realtimegauges.txt
the other files are not completed it is necessary to upload manually ?
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

I am glad you are starting to see the light and files are transferring to the /html/ folder. Does the index.html file show up?

When you use your web browser to locate the index file can you see the outlines of a web page. For me the address is http://192.168.0.119/CUtils but you will need to use whatever your local ip address is for your RPi from your main pc.

The only files you need to manually upload are the NOAA reports files together with the CUicons the rest will upload each time you run the ...website command