Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Using ExtraSensors only for the charts

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

Dador
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt
Operating System: Windows 10

Using ExtraSensors only for the charts

Post by Dador »

Hello everyone,
I have a question, what am I doing wrong? I set up the page, but the graphs of additional sensors are not working for me, and this is what I care about the most. The CumulusMX only works with the GW1000 and 8 extra sensors.

https://pogodarybnik.pl/cumulusMX/index.html

Configuration files
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: For New Users

Post by HansR »

Hi Dador,

1) Before we go into it deeper I would like to ask you to use version 6.6.5 instead of 6.6.1, just empty the utils directory, make a complete copy of the distribution to the utils directory and rerun. There is a problem with 6.6.1 which makes it difficult (if at all) to use.

2) For the extra sensors the strings.ini is an important file. Could you post that one here too?

3) I see all your data are zero (in the YADR (Yet Another Dayfile Reader) report). Can you explain this? I also see that you have no realtime values displayed in the dashboard. Do you only have extra sensors and no weather station?

Thanks. When done, I will investigate.

Regards,
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

Dador, to continue on my previous reply, I think it may become difficult because - as I just discovered from your other site - you use Cumulus 1 and all charts require CumulusMX because of the datafiles. Do you run CumulusMX as well? Otherwise I think it is impossible for me to support. I don't know Cumulus 1 at all (that has been 10+ years for me).
Hans

Dador

Post by Dador »

Hi HansR,

Ad 1. Done!

Ad 3. That's right, I don't have a weather station connected to the CumulusMX. I have a GW1000 gate and 8x WH31 sensors and a 1x WH57 sensor

Ad 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK.
1) The WH57 is not treated by CumulusUtils because it is not logged by CMX
2) OK, so the 8 sensors give you a temperature, humidity and a dewpoint. Could you tell me if you are only interested in the charts or do you want more?

If you are only thinking about the charts, there may be a solution for you. Assuming your ExtraSensorlog is OK and filled up by CMX this means you have data.

Would you be interested in just an output file which you could incorporate in your current website (like you did with monthly temperature)?

In this case do the following:

[EDIT 17/10/2021 16u47 UTC :] NOTE: I changed the command in 3/ and added CompileOnly to the command. If that is omitted, the extrasensorscharts.txt will not be created.
[EDIT 24/10/2021 :] NOTE: From version 6.7 onwards it is no longer necessary to add the compileonly as it has been made implicit in the extrasensors (soon to be released).
  1. Set the Cutils parameter UserModificationExtraSensorCharts to false and make sure you have the default CutilsCharts.def from the distribution in your utils directory.
  2. Get yourself aquainted with the parameters DoLibraryIncludes and GeneratejQueryInclude (the wiki should be your friend).
  3. run

Code: Select all

utils/bin/cumulusutils.exe ExtraSensors CompileOnly
    This leads to three outputs: extrasensors.txt, extrasensorsrealtime.txt and extrasensorscharts.txt. Throw away the first two and keep extrasensorcharts.txt
  4. run every 10 minutes (or whatever frequency you want as data refresh) the command:

/user/bin/cumulusutils.exe UserAskedData
    This will upload the required data extrasensorsdata.json for the charts to your webroot. I have no idea how and where you configured this but this is most likely the CumulusMX directory on the website.
  5. Get rid of the whole CumulusUtils website thing. It is of no use to you because you run Cumulus 1. It probably is best to point
  6. Incorporate the charts in your website.
For testing purposes the following may be interesting before going through the effort of incorporating the charts in your website:
  1. Set the parameters DoLibraryIncludes and GeneratejQueryInclude (see above) to true.
  2. Rename extrasensorscharts.txt to extrasensorscharts.html. This makes it possible to test the charts completely standalone in the browser (even from the PC read as a file)
  3. Make sure there is a extrasensorsdata.json in the directory where you test the charts (no need to update this file of course)
  4. When you're happy, insert the charts into website.
This type of configuration has to be done every time you add or remove a sensor.

When all is done and working, you may start thinking about modifying the charts. To do so:
  1. Set the Cutils parameter UserModificationExtraSensorCharts to true, this will inhibit CumulusUtils to modify the charts automatically and leave it to the user.
  2. Edit the CutilsCharts.def for the extrasensor charts which are automatically generated below the separator lines
    ; DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW THIS INDICATOR LINE
    ; ExtraSensorCharts
  3. Now all temperature sensors will be in one chart, you may e.g. want each chart to have temperature, humidity and dewpoint which belong to the same point. To do so you will have to modify the chart definitions (and possibly the colours or whatever). See for this the CDL and the ChartsCompiler wiki articles.
NOTE: Without the CUtils website it is actually impossible to have the realtime table which displays in the dashboard. And the CUtils website is actually only possible (useful) with CumulusMX. But that is another choice.

Hope this helps.
Let me know how you get on (and get yourself on the map since you are using such large part of Cutils).
Any questions let me know but realise this is uncharted territory (but I think it can work).
Hans

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

@Dador,
I don't want to interrupt or confuse, but it looks like you also have a Davis station and are using JacquesD's Weather Blues template which is compatible with Cumulus1. Not sure if there was any need to update the template to work with CumulusMX but don't recall any discussion on that and updates for Weather Blues has stopped years ago. However CumulusMX can basically do anything Cumulus1 does, and the same for webtags and custom template files processing and FTP (except for some changes in webtags date formatting) so I presume your Weather Blues template can still work. Therefore you could update to CumulusMX, and then use the GW1000 and extra sensors in the latest CumulusMX, and use CUtils as well.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Dador

Post by Dador »

HansR,

thank you for the extensive instruction. It will definitely be useful to me. You thought exactly what I did. I only care about charts from additional sensors. I don't actually need the full Utils page.

I guess the problem may be that neither CumulusMX nor Utils are creating extrasensorsdata.json for me. I'm sure it is not on the disk, nor in the checkboxes in CumulusMX. Maybe this is the reason for the lack of data in the graphs of additional sensors?

Paul,

I realize that it will work, but so far I am not able to convince myself to migrate to CumulusMX. I've been working with Cumulus1 for almost 10 years and I've become attached. It's hard for me to leave my comfort zone :) .
HansR

Post by HansR »

Dador wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 6:48 am thank you for the extensive instruction. It will definitely be useful to me. You thought exactly what I did. I only care about charts from additional sensors. I don't actually need the full Utils page.
OK, you're welcome :)
Dador wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 6:48 am I guess the problem may be that neither CumulusMX nor Utils are creating extrasensorsdata.json for me. I'm sure it is not on the disk, nor in the checkboxes in CumulusMX. Maybe this is the reason for the lack of data in the graphs of additional sensors?
But this is exactly what CumulusUtils does for you: it is the second instruction

/user/bin/cumulusutils.exe UserAskedData
which does exactly that. You only need to take care you have the location where the data will be uploaded right.

Read my instruction well, apparently you missed the point of the UserAskedData. Check the wiki if you have questions, it should all be explained there. If it is not clear, let me know I may need to adjust the text.

Good luck.
Hans

Dador

Re: Using ExtraSensors only for the charts

Post by Dador »

Ok, there are already graphs for additional sensors. However, I have a further question. I run all utils parameters with
CumulusMX-> Settings-> Internet settings-> External Programs.
When updating, the CMD window appears on the computer's desktop with the process of updating the files. Can it be turned off or hidden? I use my laptop not only for cumulus. While it pops up every window update is annoying.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Dador wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 12:48 pm Ok, there are already graphs for additional sensors.
So what are you trying to achieve then?
Where? I can't find them. Do you make them with CUtils? If not do you have a link?
Dador wrote: Sat 16 Oct 2021 12:48 pm However, I have a further question. I run all utils parameters with
CumulusMX-> Settings-> Internet settings-> External Programs.

When updating, the CMD window appears on the computer's desktop with the process of updating the files. Can it be turned off or hidden? I use my laptop not only for cumulus. While it pops up every window update is annoying.
I have no idea, this seems a windows (version?) / Cumulus 1 issue.
On the other hand: the method of using the external programs for CUtils is dis-advised by now.
Better use the scheduler (Windows) and crontab (LInux). It will probably relieve you of the popups.
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cumulus has no idea what command you are going to run, nor whether you want it visible or not. I do not know what you are running, but if you search, there are a number of methods you can use for running cmd either minimised or hidden.
Dador

Post by Dador »

Ok, I found the reason why extrasensorsdata.json was not creating. Everything is fine now. I'm trying to use the windows schedule right now. Unfortunately, in the current setting (see screenshot), nothing works. Cumulusutils.exe does not start. Only works with CumulusMX.

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK @Dador, that looks good. :clap:

Now, I am not knowledgable in Windows scheduler :groan: but maybe @Mark or @PaulMy or somebody else can shed a light here.

If you have any question about modifying the charts (to have (e.g.) the three lines of WH31 in one chart and the lines of Toaleta in another) or wish to incorporate the charts in your other site let me know.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

Note that I modified my post of 15 Oct 2021, 21:53.
Hans

Dador

Post by Dador »

In the end, I was able to deal with it all. It may be useful to other users.

1. Running the program in the widnows schedule works with these settings.

2. To prevent the CMD console window from appearing, I used this solution and it works! I have a blank screen. :clap:
  • Copy the following lines to Notepad.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
    WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\CumulusMX\utils\bin\cumulusutils.exe" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WshShell = Nothing
  • Note: Replace the batch file name/path accordingly in the script according to your requirement.
  • Save the file with .VBS extension, say launch_bat.vbs
  • Edit the .BAT file name and path accordingly, and save the file.
  • Double-click to run the launch_bat.vbs file, which in-turn launches the batch file invisibly.
The above solution turned out to be defective and unreasonable. The ones below work much better. Now I don't have any cmd windows.

Last edited by Dador on Mon 26 Sep 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.