Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

InstallCMX and symlinks

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: Buster Lite on Pi4

InstallCMX and symlinks

Post by KarlS »

I just installed the new MX version using your nice utility. It worked without a hitch ... as expected. :clap:

One question though. I have CumulusMX installed on a USB stick and created a symlink to it in my root directory. Now your program shows two instances of CumulusMX, although one is only the symlink to the actual files. No big deal, but just maybe you could suppress the symlink?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: InstallCMX and symlinks

Post by HansR »

OK, I understand your point to avoid confusion, I'll look into it.

On the other hand: you made the symlink yourself so you know and it actually is irrelevant on which of the two you install the new version: they point to the same location so there is no error possible.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Hi Karl,

I am looking into this and I get as far as detecting if there is a reparse point.
But that is not enough, one should examine the reparse point for the IO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK tag using the DeviceIoControl function and that is not trivial.

Interesting enough, but currently I have my focus on other things.

I may come back to this though but the task is simply a bit too far out of my direct knowledge area so it sinks on the to-do, doesn't go away but not sure if it will be implemented. Too many questions for me at the moment. Hope remembering the symlinks you made solves the issue at least for now ;)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: Buster Lite on Pi4

Post by KarlS »

Hi Hans.

as I said in my original post, it's no big deal for me, especially since I made this symlink only for my own convenience. But it turns out to be a big one for you, although "interesting enough". I know from experience how small interesting problems can evolve into big, really challenging ones. So, until you find a lot of idle time :lol:, your energy is probably better spent on the other great work you do on the forum. Thank you! :clap: