Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

a suggestion

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

krash
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

a suggestion

Post by krash »

First of all, thank Hans for his kindness and my gratitude for making this magnificent tool possible.
A suggestion that I do not know if it would be possible or very laborious could be that in the wind section, under the beaufort marker, indicate the meaning of this ... that is: beaufort 0 (calm) ...... etc .. known They do not know what Beaufort is, they have called me to ask what Beaufort is and, although the truth is that it is very easy to google the meaning, this would be more explicit ... Thank you very much and what I said, is only a suggestion in case it is possible....
-----MADRID (SPAIN)--------
http://cuatrotorres.ddns.net/
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: a suggestion

Post by HansR »

@krash:
Thanks. OK. Some remarks:

1) There is an explanation in the YADR table of Wind and I could make a link or a comment to there.
2) If it is a bit wider than just the Beaufort scale, I also could make a help button - which I just did for the AirQuality module - on a global level or on a per page basis. Under such help-buttons I could place some explanations. If that would be the choice, give suggestions of its contents in the comments.
3) The largest solution would be to make a page in the Wiki and put explanations there, possible in sub-pages. I then could link to that from the different modules. I suggested this some time ago, but I think a Wiki page must be made by somebody external to the application.

So yes, I think it is a good idea to include some help at this stage. Let me know in the comments if that would be a good idea (yes, depending on the solution that would be kind of elaborate). The choice of system also has to do with the possibility to use the help if used for a module outside the website system.

For me, the help would be about what the website shows. It would not be a manual or technical configuration issues (unless an explanation points to a parameter).

And finally: the basic help would be written in English. That means that translations may need to be made and maintained. This is not just word by word translation but real textual translation, so it is (partly) beyond the current technical language system. I could imagine that, when an English version exists, not everything will be translated. Untranslated would show in English.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

@krash:
I have given this some thought and I don't see an easy solution to a help system with the required translations. It would lead to something like a collection of text files which could be translated by the user or one big file with indices also to be translated by the user. So a generic help system especially for CumulusUtils will not be made (soon, probably never).

I would advice to either fill in the About of the site (file CUserAbout.txt) where you could explain some basics or use the parameters HeaderLeftText and/or HeaderRightText in which you can place text with HTML tags. So you could say something like Help and then put a link there to you own dedicated helpfile.

If that would be a generally adopted system I could facilitate that through a pop-up (eg. a file named CUserhelp.txt would be displayed in pop-up). However that would be quite limited if the file would become large. Another option would be to use the LoadUtilsReport call to load some HTML formatted text where you would normally see the graphs. This could be done from the header text or from the user menu.

So in general the system is open and there are lots of possibilities to create a user help. If you need extension of existing possibilities let me know.
Hope this is enough.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
krash
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Post by krash »

no problem. I understand the dificult of this. help on graphs part of wind beaufort is enought, i think. Thank you. :)
-----MADRID (SPAIN)--------
http://cuatrotorres.ddns.net/