Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

For New Users

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: For New Users

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Thanks for your help and support on this problem.
I have just done a clean reinstall of CUtils onto the utils directory under CMX and then a website install onto a separate folder on the RPi "weatherwebsite"

The website install log is attached as is the index.html file. The colours on the index file are restored so I must have changed them in reviewing the html.

As to how do I look at the index.html this is done by just opening the file on the RPi without the use of a browser. Perhaps this is my problem, in that the file needs to go remote rather than looking at a local copy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I must be having a moment, the browser is Chromium on the RPi !!
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

OK: I just read your message about Chromium (while having typed another answer ;) ). I really have no idea how that works, I assume it gives you the JavaScript engine but I really don't know where it gets or sets it Webroot. And apparently that is not in the directory you chose. I think you need to solve that and if that does not work you need to install a webserver I guess. I think it all comes down to the webroot because CUtils determines all files it needs relative to the webroot. And apparently it cannot find its libraries nor its css file.

The good thing is: the runtime system does upload now correctly so when you access the website with a browser through a real webserver my guess is that you see the site correctly. Other users also use the RPi locally and have FTP and Apache installed on the same machine as Cumulus, so it can be done. Others might help you here. Maybe somebody can shed a light on Chromium and its ins and outs. I can't, sorry :groan:

There is another observation, now that I see the full logfile.

You seem to have a data series from 2013 onwards (that is detected from the Dayfile.txt) but when CUtils starts reading the Monthly logs (it does use these for the Wind and the Solar Energy charts) it reads only from October 2020. This means that the older files are most likely not present. Is that correct?

Regards,
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 4:30 pmI really don't know where it gets or sets it Webroot. And apparently that is not in the directory you chose. I think you need to solve that and if that does not work you need to install a webserver I guess. I think it all comes down to the webroot because CUtils determines all files it needs relative to the webroot. And apparently it cannot find its libraries nor its css file.
If you open a web page as a file with a browser then it will work correctly if other resources are referenced relative to the page/file you are viewing. If there are absolute references (for example, "/cutils/css/file.css") then they will be resolved relative to the filesystem root rather than the webroot. So unlikely to work if absolute.
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

@freddie: yes. So weatherwebsite is the webroot in which the browser reads its index.html and all the rest is relative.
So the question is what goes wrong because evidently it finds the index file but it can't find the relative files.
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

So setting CMX website to ./weatherwebsite and running the website generation programme results in what looks like a clean install log but no data on the index.html.
This is getting way past my experience now!

I have attached log files post website creation and sysinfo for information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@andy: no it is not the setting at generation time, it is the webroot (the directory where you startup the index.html file) which determines what you see. When you startup the website the url must be the correct directory and from there it finds its libraries.

Your previous generation was OK.
It is the startup with the browser where you must look for the solution.
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I just looked at the CMX diags file and it seems that I have a series of permission denied when it tries to do the upload.

Log file attached
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Andy: aha... Yes you have to solve that. That is not good. Btw: why are you using SFTP when only copying locally? But OK that should not err...
The other thing is that I don't see any realtime.txt or realtimegauges.txt upload (and fail).
Did you activate those in the interface?
Yes, those FTP errors need to be solved.

But even then, when no file uploads, I would expect to see gauges (not working) and charts (empty) and texts and colours on the dashboard and on the header.

I don't understand why you don't see the website startup correctly. How do you find index.html when starting chromium? Do you do a change directory or something?

And now some coffee ;)
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

After a lot of head scratching I have got there and have got the starting's of a local CUtils web site. My original thinking was very flawed and after a clean RPi install of the basics to get CMX working followed by an install of apache2, php and Mariadb I was then in a position to start the Cutils build. With a concerted fiddle around permissions to get the website generated files in the correct place I can see that a working website is now a very possible goal.

The first look is attached and will no doubt be worked on over the next days and weeks.

Thanks for your help in getting the package up and available.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

You did a lot of hard work. Looks good. :D

I assume the clocks are ticking, because that means the whole system is actually working (I assume they are, because the sun & moon have been calculated as well which is the second sign of health). So what you are missing is the data which is supplied by the realtime.txt and the realtimegauges.txt which you need to configure in CMX. Note the temperature of the RPi. There exists cooling equipment, you may want to think about that.

Let me know if I can help or explain anything. I admire your persistence which I take as a compliment for the tool 8-)

Regards,
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Thanks for your comment, I had noticed that the realtime files were not working so had set them up in "extra web files" , this now puts the data onto the site.

One thing I have noticed that does not work is the noaa report which gives the heading but no report. I assume that is a switch somewhere but I have been unable to locate it. Do you have any thoughts.

The I have put a screen shot of the site page for info.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

That looks good :!:
  1. The realtime files don't need to be set up as extra web files, but can explicitly be set up in the settings: Internet Settings=> Web/FTP Settings=>Realtime Settings. It may be a kind of searching after the recent shuffle of the settings but it really pays to browse and study those!
  2. Now for the NOAA reports. Very important is to not change the filenaming in CMX. Use the defaults because that is what CUTils uses.
    1. The NOAA reports are configured in both tools because for some historic reason there are (too) many degrees of freedom in the directory and filenaming. So configure CMX first (Settings=>NOAA Settings=> FTP Options) to set the directory where you want the reports to go. Make sure that directory exists and that you can access it from the website. NOTE: you specify it in CMX as an FTP directory! Leave the filenames as default (Settings=>NOAA Settings=>Output Files) and be sure to tick UTF-8 encoding (in Report Format Options).
    2. Then configure CumulusUtils. The report you defined in CMX has to be entered in the NOAA section for FTPDirectory as relative to the webroot (e.g. ./reports/) and it must end with a slash.
    3. Note that existing reports won't be uploaded automatically, you will have to do this by hand. Regenerated reports I think won't upload automatically either but you could give it a try.
    4. When you activate the FTP upload the new reports will be uploaded daily. If you have trouble, just experiment a bit.
That's it. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Thanks so much for your assistance in getting me up and running. Whilst I can follow instructions my programming experience is quite limited so this has been a challenge that I relished.

The Noaa reports was the last standard function on CUtils that I needed to master, the following screen shot shows clear progress.

Now I need to let the system settle and tweak bits rather than setting up the complete system.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Andy,

Congrats, wel done :clap:
AndyKF650 wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 7:44 pm Thanks so much for your assistance in getting me up and running. Whilst I can follow instructions my programming experience is quite limited so this has been a challenge that I relished
AndyKF650 wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 7:44 pm The Noaa reports was the last standard function on CUtils that I needed to master, the following screen shot shows clear progress.

Now I need to let the system settle and tweak bits rather than setting up the complete system.
Enjoy, adjusting it one step at a time.

Regards, Hans
Hans