Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Limited Weather Stations

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
f4phlyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: RaspBerry Pi Win 10 OSx

Re: Limited Weather Stations

Post by f4phlyer »

BigOkie wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 3:31 pm]Also, and I hope I'm not coming across as crass here, but this software is being provided free of charge. Many weather station companies would want you to purchase their software, when in most cases their software is substandard as it compares to other solutions. I've just found that CumulusMX, for what it does and it's support system, is perfect for my uses. It's constantly being upgraded/tweaked and having the larger community chipping in on issues is what I find so satisfying about this community. Been a long time since I've said thanks, but thanks to both Steve (for initially designing the software) and Mark (for picking it up and taking it further).
Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by f4phlyer on Sat 27 Nov 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retreat at augusta pines weather
CumulusMX on Raspberry π rPi5
http://augusta-pines-weather.com / CumulusMX 4.0.0 build:4017
WeatherUnderground KTXSPRIN538
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Totally agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
David
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

As a relatively new user I have enjoyed the interaction of the community and the continuous development of the software in its various guises to report the data produced by a wide array of hardware.

Hats off to the all the many developers and testers of this software package. :D :D :D
Cambium
Weather Station: ProWeatherTP3000
Operating System: Windows10

Post by Cambium »

water01 wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021 2:34 pm I think you should understand that Cumulus 1 is no longer being developed so if you bought a WS2300 and it didn't work there is no chance of getting it fixed.

In my opinion you would be far better off switching to CumulusMX and buying one of the latest Ambient models, but that is entirely up to you.

CumulusMX on Windows is very easy to implement.
I will look into doing that since now all stations are pretty much wireless.
BigOkie wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021 3:31 pm Also, and I hope I'm not coming across as crass here, but this software is being provided free of charge. Many weather station companies would want you to purchase their software, when in most cases their software is substandard as it compares to other solutions. I've just found that CumulusMX, for what it does and it's support system, is perfect for my uses.
And thats where I'm trying to get to. You're lucky you found something that works. Not sure why its hard for the end user to find a station that will work with it. Whats the point in donating to the developer or offering a free software if its so hard to find a station that will work with it, Hence the "limited stations" title of this thread. I dont mind learning how to edit things (and I have past 6 yrs) but I'd like to find a new station that works.
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

I think you may have to rethink your cost base. To get the accuracy you would want and the ability to use CumulusMX and a wired setup of the weather station comes at a price. ie Davis VP2.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Is it me or are most of the weather stations listed to work with cumulus discontinued? I'm having a hard time find weather stations that work with Cumulus especially the Fine Offset ones. Is it a U.S thing?
I hadn't checked but am not surprised that some manufacturers have discontinued old products; technology is always changing and with that the marked place.

Not sure though why you are having a hard time finding a Fine Offset. FO has discontinued their previous line of weather stations but has introduced new stations that are marketed around the world under several different names. Ecowitt, apparently a direct subsidiary of Fine Offset, sells the stations under their model branding. The new FO are also marketed by Ambient under their branding, and Ambient has some exclusiveness in the USA market. CumulusMX has worked with the past FO stations and works with these current FO products with the station's WiFi capability or the WiFi Gateway. Previous replies have linked to WXforum where there is very good detail and comparison on Ecowitt and the other rebranded stations and sensors. Possibly the new FO stations are at a higher starting price compared to the previous FO stations so your expectations may be unrealistic.
Will Cumulus expand and work with more?
I think CumulusMX has kept up very well with the current weather station products.
What weather station(s) were you thinking of?

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm