Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

UV sensor on Ecowitt

GW1000 WiFi gateway
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

UV sensor on Ecowitt

Post by malkie »

I recently replaced my Davis Vantage Vue ISS with a VP2 ISS with Solar sensor, all very successful and working well with Cumulus MX. I am struggling to reconcile myself with the £400 price tag for the UV sensor from Davis.

Encouraged to research more into my weather station I added a GW1100 and WH41 to get an indication of air quality. I was very impressed how easy the Ecowitt gateway and sensors are to set up, and CMX now happily shows the air quality curve, at least locally. I am still to add it to my external facing web site.

Now a question. If I add a WS68 Ecowitt Wireless Anenometer, Temperature, Solar & UV sensor to my GW1100 can Cumulus MX use the UV data instead of a Davis UV Sensor?
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: UV sensor on Ecowitt

Post by Mapantz »

I think you can, but I wouldn't record its data. I have the same WS68 (as a side station) and its terribly inaccurate. In fact, It's not even a actual UV sensor, the value provided is just a calculation if I remember rightly?!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Correct, it uses a lux sensor, which is converted to solar using the default conversion factor. The UV is just assumed from the light level.
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Post by malkie »

Thanks Mark and Mapanz, looks like you have saved me wasting some money.

I’ll keep saving for that Davis sensor 🤔
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

To be honest I just bought the ecowitt with the ultrasone windmeter (arrival 20 october, install this winter after some experimentation). I considered that UV measurement is not so important in NL to have a whole weatherstation pass for just one sensor. I am going without Davis at least for the lifetime of the ecowitt. I am curious about that one. I can buy three to four of those for one Davis. Davis is good, but not that good. And if i can buy a complete station including some extra sensors the choice becomes pretty easy.

Davis is welcome... At a lower price or sponsored, otherwise the price pisses me off.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3