Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt Advice

GW1000 WiFi gateway
griffo42
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 11 Home

Ecowitt Advice

Post by griffo42 »

Could I have advice please as to whether or not this device is compatable and will work with CUMX.

ECOWITT HP2551 WiFi Weather Station Large TFT Screen with Solar Powered 7-in-1 Outdoor Sensor, UV Light, Moon Phase, Sunrise/Sunset, Weather Forecast

Thanks

Keith
Keith
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU - CumulusMX - Win11 - Saratoga/CUMX Default Scripts
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
https://www.kstwx.net/cumx/index.html
liddelljs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1001
Operating System: RPi 3 Raspbian Buster

Re: Ecowitt Advice

Post by liddelljs »

Hi Keith,
To get this system to work with CMX, you just have to purchase the GW1000 gateway. It is the GW1000 that talks to CMX and it will read the data from the sensor array. I have this setup on one of my stations (redrobin.duckdns.org) but I went the other way. I purchased the GW1001 which is the GW1000 and the 7 sensor array and then added the HP2551 screen. The GW1000 is only about AU$40-$50 or so from Ecowitt (you might also be able to buy from Amazon).

Cheers
Steve
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Post by Gyvate »

There is a major CumulusMX update in the pipeline (still in beta test phase) which will allow you to use the custom server functionality of your HP2551 console to send data to CMX. May already be published this week.
bpoos
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by bpoos »

Is there any update on this yet? I am wanting to connect my HP2551 to Cumulus MX with a Raspberry Pi, but can't work out how to do it?
water01
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It has been done. I have a HP2551 running on CumulusMX.

Choose HTTP (Ecowitt) as the station type. Then set up a customised server in the Weather Server settings on the HP2551 as per the instructions below the HTTP (Ecowitt) setting i.e.

State Enable
Protocol Type Ecowitt
IP Ip address of your CumulusMX Computer
Port The port you started CumulusMX on usually 8998
Interval 20 seconds
Path /station/ecowitt

Restart CumulusMX (you have changed the Station type) and you should see the HP2551 data.
David
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

if doing the setup at the console end is too cumbersome for you, you can also do this with the WS View app, select your console from the device list and go to the customized page. Make sure you enter only the mere IP address and no http:// in front at the server IP entry.
You can also choose a 16 second interval - then your console posting will in tune with the outdoor array posting interval.
water01
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Gyvate wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 1:49 pm if doing the setup at the console end is too cumbersome for you, you can also do this with the WS View app, select your console from the device list and go to the customized page. Make sure you enter only the mere IP address and no http:// in front at the server IP entry.
You can also choose a 16 second interval - then your console posting will in tune with the outdoor array posting interval.
I don't know why but WS-View app did not work for me and for another user that Freddie was helping. The only reliable way is using the built in setup on the console.

Also the Station Settings in CumulusMX say set it to 20 seconds.
David
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

water01 wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 2:43 pm
Gyvate wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 1:49 pm if doing the setup at the console end is too cumbersome for you, you can also do this with the WS View app, select your console from the device list and go to the customized page. Make sure you enter only the mere IP address and no http:// in front at the server IP entry.
I don't know why but WS-View app did not work for me and for another user that Freddie was helping. The only reliable way is using the built in setup on the console.

Also the Station Settings in CumulusMX say set it to 20 seconds.
a) it works with WS View - with all my consoles (and they are quite a few) - of course making the settings in the console is the ultimate way, for some consoles WS View is the (almost) only way..
b) I'm not blind - I know it says 20 seconds in CMX, still my statement with the 16 seconds is valid.
If you put 20 only, your realtime display may be max 20 seconds behind the console display ;)
Mine run with 16 seconds and during the beta tests even with 5 seconds to catch the sensor interval of the ultransonic anemometer.
And CMX showed the postings.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I'll be changing the default "advise" to 16 seconds for the next release.

Out of interest how did you set the 5 second updates as both WSView apps only allow a minimum of 16 seconds? (I have added the ability to do that to the next major release of CMX already)
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 4:35 pm I'll be changing the default "advise" to 16 seconds for the next release.

Out of interest how did you set the 5 second updates as both WSView apps only allow a minimum of 16 seconds? (I have added the ability to do that to the next major release of CMX already)
By directly communicating with the console API: e.g. via FOSHKplugin 8-)
in principle the same way CMX queries the GW1000 - all (recent) FOSKH consoles come with the same WiFi firmware interface which handles the weather services including the custom server function
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I thought it might have been that. Anyhoo, I have CMX configuring the Ecowitt protocol for you now as well - though you will have to wait a while :(
sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

I do not fully understand this.
Can I expect to have data from my Ecowitt HP2553 console more often than twice a minute with next software?
I have it now set to 16 s, but as discussed before that only gives me two updates pr minute (16 + 44 between them).
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

That seems to be a bug in that consoles firmware, the gateway devices send data at the regular intervals configured - well they add one second to whatever you set, but close enough!
bpoos
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by bpoos »

water01 wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 9:03 am It has been done. I have a HP2551 running on CumulusMX.

Choose HTTP (Ecowitt) as the station type. Then set up a customised server in the Weather Server settings on the HP2551 as per the instructions below the HTTP (Ecowitt) setting i.e.

State Enable
Protocol Type Ecowitt
IP Ip address of your CumulusMX Computer
Port The port you started CumulusMX on usually 8998
Interval 20 seconds
Path /station/ecowitt

Restart CumulusMX (you have changed the Station type) and you should see the HP2551 data.

Hi there, i am just a beginner and I have successfully set up a raspberry pi to connect with CumulsMX but the data isn't coming through from my HP2551 to my Dashboard -- iI was wanting to confirm - when i put in 'Path' to the HP2551 customized server page, for a HP2551 under Ecowitt protocol is the following the correct input? /hp2551/ecowitt or is the Path something to do with where on the raspberry pi the cumulusMX folder is situated?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

The Path is literally /station/ecowitt - nothing to change, use as-is. Double-check the IP address is that of your raspberry pi, and that you have put in the correct port.

Also bear in mind that a majority of hp2551 users have reported that you should use your station's console to input the settings, as they don't appear to 'take' if you use the WS View app.
Freddie