Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Location of station

GW1000 WiFi gateway
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Location of station

Post by Sadgit »

Hello

Not sure where to post this, but I have my digital anemometer bolted to the plastic fascias of our bedroom flat roof. Well during the high winds it rocked and creaked, so I need to find a new placement. I can get to the chimney stack fine (but I use that in winter and it currently has my 3m flight tracking antenna on it.

I am seeing wind speeds close to what I would expect unlike the Vue which was on my garage roof. So I'm not sure what to do, I could double up the antenna mount, but I am guessing a wood stove in use would make a huge difference to the real temps in winter..

I'm only posting as I am looking for ideas... I could chimney it till summer is over then, erm god knows! :D

Cheers
Mark
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Location of station

Post by sfws »

If you have a wall near that fascia, there are clamps sold for fastening TV and radio aerials that fasten to walls and grip poles to attach weather sensors as I have done - see picture at viewtopic.php?p=141426#p141426 My design actually uses 2 aerial poles clamped together to get additional height
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

ahh forgot to say.. we have bloody tiles/shingles on the outside of the bedroom walls.. zero stability!
:groan:
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

Can't you use a cranked mount off the side of the chimney stack? If you look on Amazon for 'satellite dish mounting pole' you will see various designs such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cranked-SWAN-C ... 954&sr=8-3 . Or you can get 'patio mounts' to mount a vertical pole above the flat roof.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

would a crankend one (couldn't think of their name earlier.). work with a chimney in use?
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

As you said in your original post a chimney in use affects temperatures.

Don't forget that heated air tends to approximately rise so it also distorts air movement and hence wind measurements anywhere that wood stove smoke can move past.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

true so scrap he chimney then :)