Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt Accuracy

GW1000 WiFi gateway
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Ecowitt Accuracy

Post by Big Daddy »

Just thought I would share this. I am quite impressed by the accuracy of the GW1003.

I did a comparison on the MetOffice website between my station and the nearest official Met Office station in Holbeach (12 miles away as the crow flies)

3 Sections on the graph, quite explanatory.

The Maplin temp / hum sensor was located in a shady spot where it only received a small amount of direct sunlight. The Ecowitt is "in the open" and totally exposed. I guess they have a good radiation shield on there.
Ecowitt Measurements.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Ecowitt Accuracy

Post by Mapantz »

Isn't the temp/humidity sensor inside the anemometer used for better wind measurements during wet or cold conditions? I think you're supposed to buy the additional temp/humidity sensor for the correct readings?!
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

Mapantz wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 2:15 pm Isn't the temp/humidity sensor inside the anemometer used for better wind measurements during wet or cold conditions? I think you're supposed to buy the additional temp/humidity sensor for the correct readings?!
The WH32 outdoor sensor is optional. Ecowitt sells the GW1003 with the WS80 as a complete station. It is just us hobbyists that know better, that the temperature and humidity sensors should not be all the way up on a tall pole. Which is why we recommend the optional WH32, but it is just a recommendation, not a requirement.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

Big Daddy wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 11:09 am Just thought I would share this. I am quite impressed by the accuracy of the GW1003.
Very nice graph. A lot of old Maplin and old Fine Offset users should see this and realize that they have much to gain by upgrading their old stations.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

galfert wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 3:25 pm
Big Daddy wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 11:09 am Just thought I would share this. I am quite impressed by the accuracy of the GW1003.
Very nice graph. A lot of old Maplin and old Fine Offset users should see this and realize that they have much to gain by upgrading their old stations.
What I am not clear on is exactly what pieces of Ecowitt kit is required for instance to give the same set up as WH1081 (Temp in/out, Hum In/out, Pressure, Rainfall, Wind Dir/speed, logging and connectivity to Cumulus), and then what additions can be made.

Also where do you get it, from Hong Kong, somewhere else and making sure it conforms with UK Wireless bands.

Perhaps one of you happy Ecowitt users could put that together as a list and suppliers?
David
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Good idea @water01, make a suggestion for a Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Temp in/out, Hum In/out, Pressure, Rainfall, Wind Dir/speed, logging and connectivity to Cumulus plus solar and UV. Usually if you can by piece by piece you end up pretty expensive. What where and how much does it cost? My Davis is 12 years old and beginning to fade. Especially the battery of the transmitter does one per week now. :(

Oh, and I would be in NL for costs of sending... what is efficient?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Mapantz & galfert,

I bought this as a complete kit so would have thought that if the WH32 was needed it would have been included. I did post some concerns in the forum somewhere about the temp / hum sensor being a little exposed and I think the response was "sometimes you have to make a small sacrifice", sorry cant find the post but I accepted that. However based on the graphs I posted its pretty near to official figures, even though it is stuck on the end of a 10ft pole. I think I responded by saying that if its a problem I can always get a WH32 and radiation shield.
The WS view app picks the WS80 reading for temp & hum as "Outdoor Readings" on the live data screen so can only assume it can be used for this purpose along with calculating more accurate wind information. I guess only time will tell. Will monitor the graphs a gain in a week or so and post them. Will be interesting tos see.

Andy
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Big Daddy wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 4:00 pm Mapantz & galfert,

I bought this as a complete kit so would have thought that if the WH32 was needed it would have been included.

Andy
Negative. I bought a console, anemometer, rain gauge, PM2.5 sensor, soil moisture sensor in one hit. I also bought some sensors to place as extras. It was a good job I did, as the station doesn't come with an outdoor temp/humidity sensor.

I posted about this last May on wxforum, as it is all rather confusing.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Water01 and Hans R

http://www.ecowitt.com

Take your pick of equipment from there, either buy a complete station or mix and max your sesnors.

You 100% need a GW1000 as this is whats talks to Cumulus.

I bought the GW1003 http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/118.html which contains:

GW1000: measures indoor temp, indoor humidity and pressure - also communicates with Cumulus via local wi-fi network
WS80: Ultrasonic Wind Speed&Direction, Solar Radiation & Light, Temp & Humidity 6-in-1 Sensor
Rain Gauge
WH57: Lightning Detector

The bad news is that they are not generally avaialble outside US, Canada and Australia although Froggitt sell some pieces.

All sesnors come it 3 transmitting frequencies 915/868/433Mhz and you need to ensure all your pieces are on the same frequency.

Mine is 868, for the UK the options are 868 or 433. If you but direct from Amazon US you will get the 915Mhz version which is technically illegal in the UK as it interferes with mobile phone signals.

If you speak with Lucy at Ecowitt (Email: support@ecowitt.com / ecowittweather@outlook.com) she is extremely helpful and will help.

The only downside is that it ships direct from HK so there are shipping charges and also you will be liable to import duties / taxes. Again, speak with Lucy, she will help out.

Andy
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Ok. Thnx.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Mapantz,
Maybe I need to rephrase. If you buy one of the "bundles" in the Weather Stations section on the Ecowitt site http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/ they all appear to have the ability to measure outdoor temperature / humidity either buit in or a sensor is supplied. The majoity have sensors built in with the exception of GW1002 and HP3501 which use the WS68 WIFI Weather Sensor Series -- Wireless Solar Powered Anemometer with Light & UV Sensor but a temperature / humidity sensor is provided although you probably need to buy a RS-00001 - Ecowitt Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield.

I admit it is a bit tricky and care needs to be taken in buying the individual parts not as part of a "bundle" as its not 100% clear.

Basic requirements therefore are:

GW1000

If purchasing a WS68 Anemometer you also need to purchase a WH32 WIFI Weather Sensor Series -- Outdoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor Plus a RS-00001Radiation Shield
If purchasing a WS80 Anenometer you do not need a WH32 or RS-00001

All the other sensor, air quality, lightning, soil , rain etc will work regardless

Hopefully the above info will help.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

One other thing to note and a bit of a downside. The Ecowitt equipment does not provide logging, so if for any reason your power goes down, you have internal wi-fi issues or if you power your Cumulus set up off overnight you will lose data. I run mine on a Raspberry Pi and leave on all the time as it literally costs pennies to run and have done for several years.

Andy
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I still think you should buy a separate sensor for temp/humidity. I don't know how high your anemometer is set to, but temp records will be rather skewed during high (25°C +) and low (below zero) temperatures.

I certainly wouldn't trust it for general temperature records - if accuracy is your thing.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Mapantz wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 7:04 pmI don't know how high your anemometer is set to, but temp records will be rather skewed during high (25°C +) and low (below zero) temperatures
Daytime temperatures won't really be affected, but nighttime temperatures will - especially on clear and still nights (regardless of absolute temperature values).
Freddie
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Thanks for the info.

It hasnt been exposed to any "extreme" weather yet +23C max and +3C min so will certainly keep an eye on it and track it against Holbeach. If it fluctuates greatly then I wil look into getting a WH32 as you suggest but if it stays fairly much inline I will leave as is.

Its currently up at around 15ft (10ft pole mounted off the back of my shed) as its in quite an open location but there are plans to increase it in 5ft steps. The pole I used came in 2 x 5ft sections and I have another one available but will need to add them 1 section at a time as already the household inspector of building works (aka "the wife" ) is starting to raise minor objections, :lol: especially as I had to internally reinforce the shed in order to take 2 x heavy duty mounting brackets as each section of pole weighs around 2.5Kg. It doesnt wobble in the wind though. I was watching during the 35mph gusts on Sunday and didnt see any major movement.

Andy