Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dayfile Gust High Wind Format

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Dayfile Gust High Wind Format

Post by LindaFNM »

I am trying to correct my dayfile.txt data, please can the format of the first value after the time be confirmed? Old data shows values to one decimal point eg 6.7. New values show an integer eg 7, and CreateMissing also gives a whole number here. The Wiki shows a decimal point in the example value. Thanks.

17/05/20,8.0,248,11:50
02/01/22,16,237,13:19
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Dayfile Gust High Wind Format

Post by water01 »

Dayfile gust has no decimal places.
David
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Thank you very much. I’d rather get it right before I correct thousands of records!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

water01 wrote: Mon 24 Jan 2022 7:04 pm Dayfile gust has no decimal places.
I'd add - by default - to that.

You can add decimals under the Units > Advanced settings. But not sure I'd trust any anemometer to give you a wind speed anywhere near accurate to decimal values except when using metres per sec.
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Yes, problem was I think when I set all this up that I just used the example in the wiki to set my units without computing that the description shows interger :groan: ! However, CreateMissing happily seems to correct all the decimal point data to interger to so it’s a simple copy and paste. Such a useful utility.
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

First, may I add a big tick to CreateMissing. Recently I ran it for the first time ... very useful for finding duplicates and a few other odd-bods accumulated over the years. I noticed that the highest wind gust speed was rounded by createmissing to the nearest whole number but records it to one decimal place, so all values end with a redundant ".0".

(The rounding was only for the early years of my dayfile when I had an oregon station that returned a value to one decimal place, which was probably due to it converting mph to km/h. In recent years I have had a Davis station which only reports to whole numbers)

I thought about just editing the dayfile (outside of cmx) and deleting the redundant ".0", but then I noticed my Station Settings / Units / Advanced Options / Wind Speed Decimals is set to 0. I don't think I have gone anywhere near these dragons, except to look just now ... I didn't know this setting existed until I read this topic!

All this is trivial ... except the high praise for CreateMissing ... but why do the new entries into the dayfile continue to include the decimal place, ie ".0" when the settings say there should be none? (And the admin dayfile editor doesn't show the decimal place.)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Dayfile entries created by CMX will follow your Wind format decimals. I have mine set to 0 dp and my dayfile just contains integer values.

CreateMissing *should* honour the same setting.
billy

Post by billy »

My Cumulus.ini has

WindSpeedDecimals=0 (this is what I was referring to above)
RoundWindSpeed=0 (just noticed this one - it seems to be set under "common options")

I guess it is the latter that requires changing to effect this?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The windspeed decimals value controls the format used for display and writing to the log files.
Round wind speed controls if all the speeds should be rounded to integers if they are decimal values. The average will be a decimal if CMX calculates it, otherwise it is what the station provides.

As I have a WLL the gust values are always integer from the station, and the average is a decimal value - I display/log averages to 1dp of mph.
billy

Post by billy »

All is fine. Well the dayfile is, but I am not. By accident (ie stupidity) I was editing a copy of an older dayfile that pre-dated running CreateMissing ... aaargh :bash: :bash: :bash:
CreateMissing did exactly what you (Mark) said it would do - honour the setting ... and in my case that meant removing the decimal place.
My apologies for wasting other's time.