Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Http Ecowitt - polling interval and wind

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Re: Http Ecowitt - polling interval and wind

Post by sutne »

But you did not adress the curious fact that the console send 3 times pr minute, but CMX only updates the console by 2 of them. And I presume: loses some data for the avg wind speed.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I didn't but I cannot see how it can happen either. I see the dashboard time update every time a message is received.

Your log shows the final message from ProcessData function being output so there are no errors, and the dashboard time is updated just before that message is output.
If there were an error, then every one of them is caught and a message logged anyway.
ProcessData uses your computer clock time and ignores the timestamp in the sent data so there can be no difference it time settings coming into play.

So I'm at a loss to explain what you see at the moment. :?

Is the "Last Cumulus update" time definitely incrementing every 3 seconds?
sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

Ok, at the moment CMX is doing the job. Last Station Update is now 10, 38 and 54 each minute.
CMX update is every 2 or 3 sec.

So this probably is a Ecowitt issue.
nicktitan46
Weather Station: YU`
Operating System: VJUY

Post by nicktitan46 »

I do have a ws80 (ultrasone) but I only see the 20 sec. Message appear in the cmx log. There is no 4 sec update. So why would you poll at 4 sec if the gw1100 only sends at the 20 sec frequency? Apart from that: cmx does not know i have a ws80, it only sees the gw1100 which assembles all data and sends it in one message to cmx.

video streaming
Last edited by nicktitan46 on Wed 08 Dec 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

OK, I'll try again...

You can configure the GW1000 in two ways in CMX.

The recommended way is to set it as a GW1000 station. Then CMX POLLS the GW1000, it uses the GW1000 API which can interrogate everything about your station and sensors. So CMX DOES know you have WS80 attached. So it knows for instance what your reception for each sensor is like and logs it. Because CMX is polling the GW1000 it can do so at whatever rate it likes. If it detects you have a WS80, then it decreases the poll interval to 4 seconds to catch every 4.75 second wind update.

You can also configure the GW1000 as a HTTP Station (Ecowitt). That is intended to be used for Ecowitt consoles which do not have a local API like the GW1000.
If you use that setting, then everything is controlled by the station/GW1000. CMX just sits there waiting for some data to be sent to it. And yes it has no idea what sensors you have attached.