Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dayfile.txt not update at midnight

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

snowman1977
Weather Station: Oregon Wmr88
Operating System: Win7

Dayfile.txt not update at midnight

Post by snowman1977 »

Good evening,
I am writing about a problem that has occurred a couple of times, the last of which just yesterday.
I use an Oregon WMR88 with an Arduino RF receiver. CumulusMX installed on raspberry and the weather station is configured as "EasyWeather" so the data is provided through a ".dat" file. The problem I encounter is that at the stroke of midnight the dayfile.txt file is not updated and therefore remains behind by a day. Consequently, the today.ini file also remains with the date from the previous day. I solved it manually by stopping CumulusMX and using the "CreateMissing" tool to insert the missing line on the dayfile.txt and deleting the today.ini which is then created correctly when CumulusMX is restarted.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Dayfile.txt not update at midnight

Post by mcrossley »

Please zip up and post your MXdiags folder.
snowman1977

Post by snowman1977 »

Thanks in advance Mark for your quick reply.
Attached is the compressed MXdiags folder. As a further indication, I can tell you that in the log I noticed there is no "Day reset" when the reported problem occurs despite the date being correctly detected in the rest of the log.
Greetings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

You are getting lots of "data stopped" errors, if MX is not receiving data from the station it does not perform the rollover.

As an side, you have lots of errors in your tag files that MX is not processing because they are badly formed...
monthlyrecordT.php
alertshow.js
snowman1977

Post by snowman1977 »

Mark,
I think the "data stopped" are actually due to Cumulus expecting data every minute while in my case they are transmitted through the easyweather.dat file every two minutes.
However, looking carefully at the log, I noticed that sometimes the generated easyweather.dat file contained incorrect data ("NaN"). When this erroneous data arrived near midnight, the Cumulus log rightly detected an error in the data string and discarded the reading. In this error situation, as you indicated, the rollover was not performed.
So I proceeded to manage any incorrect data in my arduino-raspberry software that picks up the signals from the weather station so that an incorrect string no longer arrives at CumulusMX. I'll let you know if this was really the problem.
I am also correcting the html files affected by errors as reported by you.
Thanks for your valuable contribution.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, CMX does expect he data to be refreshed at least once a minute. If you are using the EasyWeather file method, then could you update the file say every 30 seconds just changing the date/time even if the data does not change?
snowman1977

Post by snowman1977 »

Mark
that's just what I thought I'd do.
However, before proceeding, I tried to set the "File Read Interval" to 1 minute in the cumulus configuration (EasyWeather File Setting section) even if the data from the station is updated every 2 minutes. I must tell you that it worked because, while updating the data file every 2 minutes, I see that no anomaly is detected even if the data remains the same between two consecutive readings at 1 minute intervals (including identical date and time). I enclose the last log of the MXDiags folder as a demonstration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, that is good to know.