Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How are these Ecowitt extra sensors used (in context of a Davis VP)

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

How are these Ecowitt extra sensors used (in context of a Davis VP)

Post by HansR »

When setting the Extra Sensors for a HTTP Station and then selecting Ecowitt (along a Davis main station), I get a choice of extra sensors. The first ones being listed as :
    Schermafbeelding 2021-10-22 094417.jpg
      But I don't see those values appear anywhere (ticking the extra T/H sensor being the WH32 and the Solar on the WS80).
      How do I interpret these sensor possibilities? Are they really available as extra sensors and if so, where?

In addition, the Soil Temperature sensor data from the Ecowitt is given by which Ecowitt sensor? As fas as I understand the only soil probe is the WH34S which appears on UserTemp.
      You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
      Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
      CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
      mcrossley
      Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
      Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: How are these Ecowitt extra sensors used (in context of a Davis VP)

Post by mcrossley »

As we now know the WH32 temperature replaces your main station temperature so it will not appear as an extra temperature. You need a WH31 for that.

Yes, the Soil Temp is an error, I'll remove it, Ecowitt currently only has a dedicated soil moisture sensor.
      EDIT: Though the protocol does have a field for these values...
      HansR

Post by HansR »

Yes.

The wh32/wh31 confusion is clear for me now. So i think the wh32 has no function in the extra sensor list.

I think the first four extra sensors are not served by Ecowitt or accepted anywhere by cmx as extra sensors. I checked them and they simply don't appear in the extra log file so I think they all four should be removed.

And I also think if a field exists, a sensor eventually can be expected but having sensors in that list which have no effect within CMX is confusing.
      Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Not sure I understand, the first four on the list are: Solar, UV, Extra Temp/Hum, Extra Soil Temp.

The Soil Temp, I have agreed does not exist (yet) and will be removed.

Solar and UV data is certainly logged by CMX, not in the extra sensor log but the main log file.

Extra T/H is logged in the extra log file, and Ecowitt do make them - the WH31.
      HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 12:52 pm Not sure I understand, the first four on the list are: Solar, UV, Extra Temp/Hum, Extra Soil Temp.

The Soil Temp, I have agreed does not exist (yet) and will be removed.
      OK.
      mcrossley wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 12:52 pm Solar and UV data is certainly logged by CMX, not in the extra sensor log but the main log file.
      Then that might maybe be useful to add as (info) text somewhere, can't find it in the wiki.

I have a Davis Solar/UV and when I activate the Ecowitt solar (which is part of the WS80) that value is not stored anywhere. Same for UV. So when activated the value gets lost (I think). Anyway, it does not work as an extra sensor but as a main sensor (maybe I am overactive making this distinction).
      mcrossley wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 12:52 pm Extra T/H is logged in the extra log file, and Ecowitt do make them - the WH31.
      Ok, clear. I am getting there. Slowly (the WH31 are underway).
      Thanks for the clarification.
      Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Hans, you are correct the Solar and UV values are "single values", there is no extra data. The Extra sensor solar/UV is intended for those with say a Davis without solar, or a WMR etc that does not support solar, who wish to add solar data via an Ecowitt/Ambient platform.

Ideally some day you'll be able to mix and match which sensors to use from which station (like you can amongst the 8 possible ISS's in the WLL config) as your main sensors - we're not there yet.
      HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 3:40 pm Hi Hans, you are correct the Solar and UV values are "single values", there is no extra data. The Extra sensor solar/UV is intended for those with say a Davis without solar, or a WMR etc that does not support solar, who wish to add solar data via an Ecowitt/Ambient platform.
      OK.
      mcrossley wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 3:40 pm Ideally some day you'll be able to mix and match which sensors to use from which station (like you can amongst the 8 possible ISS's in the WLL config) as your main sensors - we're not there yet.
      No, we're not there yet. But what a view! :D
      Hans

Phil23
      Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
      Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

What I bought here was:-

3 x WH31's and a WN30.

What I'd like to do is substitute one of the WH31's in for the main up the pole sensors of the sensor array.
      My Ecowitt install is at this point a totally separate system to my VP/2.
      :Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
      Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
      :Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
      HansR

Post by HansR »

I don't think it is possible to have a wh31 as a main t/h sensor.
      And btw: lucky you that you don't have 868 frequency because those are continuously sold out.
      Hans