Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Unexpected "weather station offline" gauges page

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

philhalldron
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian Linux

Unexpected "weather station offline" gauges page

Post by philhalldron »

We are experiencing a peculiar fault with the gauge display on our website- an error message asserting that the weather station is offline is displayed when the Gauges link is selected, however this is neither expected nor understood given that:

1. We can remotely connect to the host machine, a Raspberry Pi, which demonstrates that the device has internet connection.
2. We can see CumulusMX running and the gauges on the admin interface at http://localhost:8998/gauges.html all updating without issue.
3. All other aspects of the website including the "Now", "Today" and "Charts->Trends" are functioning correctly i.e. showing up-to-date information.

This state of affairs may be observed at:

http://www.downssailingclub.co.uk/9Weather/index.htm

Please advise.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Unexpected "weather station offline" gauges page

Post by freddie »

Looks like your realtimegauges.txt file is not being transferred to your website. It hasn't updated for 16 hours. Could you zip up the latest file in your MXdiags folder and attach it to a reply to this topic?
Freddie
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Thanks: I will get the diagnostics next time I'm connected to the Pi.

BTW this issue seems to randomly exhibit. The gauges will update ok then suddenly stop. I have known them to start updating again without any intervention.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Please upgrade to the latest version of MX, it has fixes in it for the recovery of the real-time FTP session after a disconnect.
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Mark,

thank you- I have upgraded to build 3148 and restarted.

I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Kind Regards,

Phil Halldron
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Well, everything was looking good until 12:50ish today then the problem returned.

I went for a dig in MXdiags and I saw this in the log file:

2021-10-11 13:29:53.423 FTP[6]: Error uploading web/realtimegauges.txt to /realtimegauges.txt : Connection refused

Connecting to the web server using FileZilla I noticed that realtimegauges.txt had a timestamp last updated around 12:50 today (11th October).

But on the pi the file is up to date.

I tried to ftp the the realtimegauges.txt file to the web server- this succeeded and the gauges status changed to back to "online".

Then the gauges went offline again. Looking in the log file I see:

2021-10-11 19:33:23.377 Realtime[221]: Uploading - realtimegauges.txt
2021-10-11 19:33:23.455 FTP[221]: Error uploading web/realtimegauges.txt to /realtimegauges.txt : Connection refused

This seems very strange given that all the other files are uploaded by CumulusMX and that I am able to manually ftp the realtimegauges.txt. Why should the connection be refused? Why should this suddenly happen after over a week of running?

Please advise.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

CMX uses a single FTP session for the real time transfers that is left permanently connected. The other file transfers create a new FTP session for each transfer (as would your FileZilla transfer).

Could it be your host is in some way timing out the real time connection after a set period? How long was it connected before it failed, that may give a clue. Is it the same length of connection time for every failure?

What does the rest of the log file say? Did CMX try to reconnect? What happened then?
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Mark,

that's very useful to know regarding the real time feed. I wouldn't mind betting that the ftp server is "hanging up" on the session after a set period- probably some sort of security setting somewhere. It may not like the idea of a session staying permanently connected.

The gauges stop after around a week.

I will find out who is responsible for maintaining the ftp server and see if they can look into the issue.

Phil
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Its slightly odd in that from the bits you've posted CMX does not appear to be detecting the error as a disconnect. If it did, it would throw away the existing connection and start a new one.
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Mark,

quite.

And the other funny thing is that from time to time it seems to reconnect and then disconnect; Yesterday afternoon around 4pm the gauges returned to life but this morning we have the "offline" message again.

:?

Phil
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

The latest episode in the saga.

So the gauges suddenly settled down and all was ok. Then this morning nothing at all was uploading. No data, and the menus were missing too from the web page.

I logged on remotely this evening and the software was running, gauges on the console all working nicely etc.

So I tried an "FTP Now" and nothing happened.

Checked the MXDiag log and saw this:

2021-10-20 19:20:40.932 RDLV: Unexpected rain format, found:
2021-10-20 19:20:40.932 RDLV: Unexpected rain format, found:
2021-10-20 19:20:40.998 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/tempdata.json to /tempdata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.106 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/pressdata.json to /pressdata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.214 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/winddata.json to /winddata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.324 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/wdirdata.json to /wdirdata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.456 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/humdata.json to /humdata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.558 FTP[Int]: Error uploading web/raindata.json to /raindata.jsontmp : Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down.
2021-10-20 19:20:41.939 RDLV: Unexpected rain format, found:
2021-10-20 19:20:41.940 RDLV: Unexpected rain format, found:

Please explain what has gone wrong? What gives rise to this message?

I was able to upload the json files using FileZilla without issue and this briefly caused the web page to "come back to life".

Please Advise!

ps there are a lot of "Unexpected rain format found" entries. We have no rain sensor. How can this be turned off? It would help if we had less noise in the diagnostics.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Lets go back to basics. What FTP protocol are you using.

That snippet of the log file shows that the interval upload is failing. That creates a brand new session for each upload.
The error is indicating that the connection has disconnected.

I would be helpful to see the full log files.

The RDLV error is saying that no rainfall data was found. Rain is one of the "core" values, so MX reports if it is missing. The message cannot be turned off. I'm not sure why you get it twice though, I'd have to look at the source code.
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

Plain old FTP. No secure sockets or anything like that.

I did try to upload the whole log file but the forum said the file was too large- hence the snippets.

(I could try zipping first).

The web site is now displaying correctly again with the regular 15 minute updates but the gauges are broken again. Also temperature trend graph is failing to load- all other graphs with sensors present are working.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Your whole site is broken at the moment because the websitedata.json file is present but corrupt in some way - possibly zero length?
philhalldron

Post by philhalldron »

You're right, totally broken.

I'll take a look when I can.

I am trying to contact the server admin to see if there is anything happening server-side that is blocking full upload.