Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data loss following powercut

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

MarkinNZ
Weather Station: Davis Vue & WeatherGo Sensors
Operating System: Synology NAS DS218+ DSM 7.0

Data loss following powercut

Post by MarkinNZ »

Hi
Please help.

problem
We had a powercut today and the Raspberry PI 4 running CumulusMX shutdown untidily. I restarted it and CulumusMX. All was looking good until
" - Downloading entire logger contents!" x 2.

Looked OK, but when I went to website I watched the rain gauge reverse from 26mm of rain today down to 0.

Where has my data gone?
How do I get it back?
What else has gone?

Can someone please help me get my data back.

I've attached log files.

I have a Davis Vantage Vue with WIFI logger to collect the data. I upgraded CumulusMX today so using v.3.13.3 build 3148.

Background
Two days ago I converted to CumulusMX. I've done a couple of youtube videos on Linux so my knowledge is limited to copying files about. I was pretty pleased with myself for getting CulumusMX running on the PI :D I have lots of computer experience but all Windows based. We're in COVID lockdown and I thought it a useful exercise to learn Linux - hence the PI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Davis Vantage Vue running Vantage Pro2 with Solar and Daytime Fan ISS
WiFi Logger2
Synology NAS DS218+ running mono in a Docker container
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Data loss following powercut

Post by mcrossley »

Your log file shows that the last data logged by CMX was on 9/23/2021 13:36:09.
Did you do another run of CMX after the power outage before this one?

When it requests the data from the station logger at 13:36, the last logged value was recorded was 9/23/2021 13:00:00, so the 13:15 and 13:30 log entries are missing. That is why the entire logger contents are downloaded. (the Davis loggers send the entire contents if the date/time requested is not found in its memory).

You say you have a WiFi logger, I guess that unlike a Davis logger that device needs external power to function? So if you had a power outage the station will also stop logging data? I'm not sure what effect that has on the console itself - anyone know?

Once it had downloaded the logger contents (twice - that is normal), it tried to start the loop data, that worked for a while, then the 26th message of the 50 requested errored at the network level (that is probably the "normal" WiFi logger unpredictable behaviour). CMX tried to reconnect to the station, that succeeded, but that CMX was then shutdown a minute later.

So I think everything was working as expected, it may require a correction of your rainfall for today because of the outage and data loss.

What you could do is restore your data files back to the last midnight backup (with CMX stopped of course).
It should then catch up from the logger and just have a gap over your power outage, and you would not need to apply any corrections.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

You say you have a WiFi logger, I guess that unlike a Davis logger that device needs external power to function? So if you had a power outage the station will also stop logging data? I'm not sure what effect that has on the console itself - anyone know?
The WiFiLogger, just like the Davis WeatherlinkIP or USB/Serial loggers, resides in the Davis Vue or VP2 console. As long as the console has batteries, when the power goes out the console will keep on displaying from the ISS as usual and the WiFiLogger will continue to do the logging.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks Paul - I guess no, or low batteries then?
MarkinNZ
Weather Station: Davis Vue & WeatherGo Sensors
Operating System: Synology NAS DS218+ DSM 7.0

Post by MarkinNZ »

Thank you Paul, et al. I was worried that if I restored that the data would not be updated from the weather station.

I restored as at a couple of days ago. When I ran the app I got the date / time issue, so I ran again specifying en-NZ as the language and it ran, downloading data and updated as expected (hoped!!!).

So, issue resolved and lessons learned. Thank you.

FYI the wifilogger details are here: https://wifilogger.net I have WiFiLogger 2. It is installed in the Davis console and transmits data via wifi network. It is powered by the console, so is powered battery when the mains power is out.

cheers

Mark
Mark

Davis Vantage Vue running Vantage Pro2 with Solar and Daytime Fan ISS
WiFi Logger2
Synology NAS DS218+ running mono in a Docker container