Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

A few accessibility points for MX b3143

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

A few accessibility points for MX b3143

Post by freddie »

From user mdlawler requesting latest thoughts on the following accessibility points:

1. The percentage for the moon phase. I suggested creating a file when the image is displayed and then just using this file for the percentage.
2. Displaying the noaa reports in a grid/table. Note that I just want to change how they are displayed not the actual text files. Since I'm blind perhaps I don't understand some visual aspect to this, but as long as the text files don't change how does it cause any backward compatibility issues to parse them and display them in a table/grid. As I said try reading them with Narrator and then read the main Cumulusmx display for temp/rain/wind and you'll immediately see my problem.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: A few accessibility points for MX b3143

Post by mcrossley »

OK...

1. I still have this on the todo list, I'll probably add the percent as alt text to the image so screen readers will pick it up.

2. Is a big area. It would mean either...
a. Writing new routines in CMX to output the NOAA reports as HTML rather than text. This would be optional as the text file is the standard. Writing that and getting everything formatted nicely etc. would be quite a big job.
b. Write a browser client-side text file parser for the existing reports to convert them on the fly to HTML. Again, writing that and getting everything formatted nicely etc. would be quite a big job.

Summary, item 1 will be done soon, item 2 would be a low priority item for the time being.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Thanks Mark, I'll pass that on.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Could you ask if he wants the percent as an absolute value, i.e. 0% to 100%. Or as a full range that indicates waxing/waning i.e. -100% to 100%

Or would the Moon age into the current lunation be better?
freddie

Post by freddie »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 09 Sep 2021 2:42 pm Could you ask if he wants the percent as an absolute value, i.e. 0% to 100%. Or as a full range that indicates waxing/waning i.e. -100% to 100%

Or would the Moon age into the current lunation be better?
Michael says that an absolute percentage is the way to go. I believe the waxing/waning bit is elsewhere on the page.
mcrossley wrote: Thu 09 Sep 2021 9:26 am 2. Is a big area. It would mean either...
a. Writing new routines in CMX to output the NOAA reports as HTML rather than text. This would be optional as the text file is the standard. Writing that and getting everything formatted nicely etc. would be quite a big job.
b. Write a browser client-side text file parser for the existing reports to convert them on the fly to HTML. Again, writing that and getting everything formatted nicely etc. would be quite a big job.

Summary, item 1 will be done soon, item 2 would be a low priority item for the time being.
Michael says this about item 2:
if you would like to manually code a monthly file into html to make sure that it would be readable I'd be willing to test that, meaning that you could take a single month text file, preferably one of mine since I kind of know what to expect from my data, manually put it into html and then put it up somewhere and I could attempt to read it and we could tweak it so that if you eventually automate this we'll have a working prototype to compare to.
Freddie