Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Updating the pi?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Rickoo
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Updating the pi?

Post by Rickoo »

Hello!

New user here and BRAND new to a Raspberry Pi. Just got the headless pi up and running yesterday, Now I see there is an update available and would like to learn the process to update as things change.

I really have no idea on how to access the proper folder on the pi and then how to copy the updated files downloaded to my pc over to the pi?

Is there basic documentation somewhere that explains this to a true novice?

Thanks!
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Updating the pi?

Post by freddie »

Freddie
Rickoo

Post by Rickoo »

Thanks Freddie. I read through that. I think my issue is really not knowing how to copy to and control the RPi from a remote computer. I'm using Putty and have learned a few basic commands during setup, (how to start and stop cumulus) but that's it.

The simplest update is from the immediate preceding build, and the steps required are summarised as follows:

Download the release distribution zip for the next build (see later for where from)
My advice is to have a separate download location away from the location where you are installing/running the software; it can retain older releases to make regression simple if the new release proves to have a bug. Use Control-C to stop Cumulus MX (see later if running as a service)

Got that part.

Take a backup of your complete existing MX installation (as it is not running, no files will be locked)

What command is used in Putty to backup the existing installation and where do I back it up to? How do I copy over the new file from my windows pc to the Pi?

Unzip the new distribution, overwriting the previous installation (the release announcement might ask you to delete obsolete files)
Run any one-off batch scripts needed to prepare for upgrade
These might be needed if log files in the new release contain fields that were not in earlier release
These might be needed if you use optional database functionality (see later for examples)
Do any actions that require you to use Admin Interface to change settings
Do any one-off actions in relation to any files provided by MX for you to run a web site with the default pages

How would I know if I need to run any such scripts or actions?

Restart your Cumulus MX (consider running with -debug parameter if you are not sure the new build is bug free)

How would I run the -debug parameter?

Thanks for any direction you can give me!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

If you are running Windows on your main computer I recommend you download WinSCP. This will allow you to connect to your rPi and copy files back and forth - useful if you want get log files for diagnostics etc.

If you have Cumulus MX setup to run as a service then you will either have to...

1. Edit the CumulusMX service file to add the -debug parameter
2. Just set it from Program Settings | Logging Options :)
3. Edit the Cumulus.ini file and enable it in there (no longer recommended)
Rickoo

Post by Rickoo »

Thanks Mark. Will continue reading and trying to figure this stuff out!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

With WinSCP, you can just double click files on your rPi to edit them locally on Windows. It's pretty straight forward once you get it connected and pathed to the right location.