Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Taken the plunge

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Taken the plunge

Post by Altocumulus »

After almost a decade of running Cumulus1, data from a Davis Vantage Pro2, on a Samsung Netbook, I was 'forced' to consider another PC after cats kept sitting on its keyboard.

I've installed cleanly on a PC I use to run my security cameras and also took the opportunity to include CumulusMX.
Data & .ini file copied across - the latter edited.
Cumulus 1 continues to feed my website and WOW; switching off the transmit from MX.

Loading Virtual VP I got both pieces of software up and running within 15 minutes - so thanks to all for the good software.

p.s. Is there an alternative to Virtual VP - it's running, but for how much longer on Windows 10, especially as MS are introducing Win11!?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Taken the plunge

Post by mcrossley »

Well, you could go one step further and try running MX on a Raspberry Pi - it's good for your power bills! :)

The other issue with Virtual VP I believe is that it does not support the LOOP2 packets, so some functionality in Cumulus MX will be restricted back to Cumulus 1 behaviour.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I guess I’m the Last of the Mohicans, sorry, Cumulus 1 users. :D

My Samsung NC10 has only had two issues in 12 years - failed fan and HDD. I now have an SSD since April. Still running XP, VirtualVP, WeatherLink and VPLive.

One question. When the HDD failed I tried unsuccessfully to install WeatherLink software on a Windows 7 PC. Do I need that on a Windows 10 PC to continue to run Cumulus 1?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
The last of the Mohicans... maybe, but not the only one ;)
My old Windows8 PC is still chugging away with WL USB and mostly running Cumulus1 and updating webpages, with a twice a month shut down to run WL for a few minutes.

My newer Windows10 PC has CumulusMX with WiFiLogger and also WLL.
However, I have also put Cumulus1 and WLPC 6.0.5 and this Windows10 and the last time I ran them they worked fine.
I am pretty sure you DON'T NEED to have WLPC on your PC to run Cumulus1, however WLPC is good in making sure of good connection settings - i.e. determine COM port. I ran Cumulus1 on the Win10 PC first, then a few months later installed WLPC just to try it.
I gave up on VVP many years ago so have not used that on Win10PC.

With sufficient hardware you can run both Cumulus1 and CumulusMX. But if it was either one or the other, I would select CMX, hands down!

@Altocumulus, good for you to get CumulusMX up quickly, and getting VVP going again. The Davis Weatherlink Live may be a good alternative in some circumstances.

Keep enjoying,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Paul,

Does WiFiLogger / WLPC replace the older WeatherLink software?

No plans to use CumulusMX. Cumulus does everything I need and never causes any issues.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

After some reading it seems the Wi-Fi Logger is a wi-fi version of the original logger and the console and PC don't need to be physically connected via USB. That's good.

The downside is it operates fundamentally different to my current setup and whilst it can communicate with CumulusMX it can't with Cumulus. Pity.

No disrepect to Mark but I see far more questions / queries about MX than Cumulus. Perhaps because everyone except me is using MX now. But does this mean all my webpages become redundant? How does that side work?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

As CumulusMX won't run on Windows XP I can't try it until I make radical changes to my setup which probably involves buying the Wi-Fi logger and then many hours reworking my website pages.

The upside is I can access the data from any PC in the house and my wi-fi speed is great. Time to do some serious thinking. The Wiki pages are very helpful so thanks to those who helped write those.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks all.

@Ray - I've not used WL in years so no I didn't need to run it for the new PC location.

Question if I may...

I was never able to edit data on the Netbook, too slow - too small a screen - etc. In 10 years I've had to replace each sensor once, temp, wind, rain - so I know I have suspicious/spurious data; -68C anybody .... 1648.2mm/hr :D.

How's the 'best' way to edit the data and what is an acceptable entry without having to delve deep into the daily figures - will blank field be acceptable to the queries? Do I edit in the dayfile or in the SQL database? If I can't tidy the data in C1, at least I'll be neater under MX.