Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

V 3.12.0 Interface - Moon image path and NOAA files path

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

V 3.12.0 Interface - Moon image path and NOAA files path

Post by freddie »

A query from user @mdlawler:

It appears the moon image path and NOAA files path have to be specified as absolute - i.e. relative path doesn't work. Is this intended?
Freddie
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: V 3.12.0 Interface - Moon image path and NOAA files path

Post by sfws »

I leave it to Mark to answer specific question, but make an observation:

Remember, prior to 3.12.0, absolute paths were needed for copy in extra web files.

This might be a result of your user swapping from FTP to Copy as detailed in your other post today.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

OK, the FTP paths are relative to the FTP root (obviously, you cannot escape that - I hope!), but the copy paths are absolute.

The reason for this is because not everyone will use the "global" copy feature. They may not use the default web site, and have a custom web site that uses their own template files etc.
This is how my site works, it is PHP/MySQL based and uses template files that are lists of PHP variables. I copy things to different locations on my drive depending on what they are, using the RAM drive for real time data files for instance. With configurations like that the flexibility of absolute paths are required, otherwise you are back to adding them to the Extra Files again.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Okay thanks, sounds sensible to me. I will pass on the response.
Freddie
freddie

Post by freddie »

@mcrossley Michael understands why absolute paths are required, but has mentioned "I think the help text should make it clear that absolute must be used" which sounds fair enough.
Freddie
sfws

Post by sfws »

On my first venture into 3.12.0 new settings I set up the "copy path" in the moon section. I saved the page and saw my moon image was copied across.

Later, I was exploring other settings on this page, and as I went to "Save settings", noticed that my "copy moon path" apparently got reset (from how I had earlier set it up).

Maybe some in-built linkage/dependence needs further checking? Or maybe the settings page needs to explain you must work downwards, although you should be able to dive in and do any settings without them being lost by something else?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

freddie wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:42 am @mcrossley Michael understands why absolute paths are required, but has mentioned "I think the help text should make it clear that absolute must be used" which sounds fair enough.
OK, some text added.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

sfws wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 11:33 am On my first venture into 3.12.0 new settings I set up the "copy path" in the moon section. I saved the page and saw my moon image was copied across.

Later, I was exploring other settings on this page, and as I went to "Save settings", noticed that my "copy moon path" apparently got reset (from how I had earlier set it up).

Maybe some in-built linkage/dependence needs further checking? Or maybe the settings page needs to explain you must work downwards, although you should be able to dive in and do any settings without them being lost by something else?
Quite probably, there is some logic that changes the default paths when the copy option is enabled. I'll take a look at making it smarter and not set the new default if the field already contains non-default data.

People complained that the defaults were not set appropriately to the selected options above, now doing that is a problem. Such is life. I'll see if it can be improved.
sfws

Post by sfws »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 2:52 pm Quite probably, there is some logic that changes the default paths when the copy option is enabled.
Actually, it seemed an old default was reset, not a new default relevant to "Copy".
mcrossley wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 2:52 pm People complained that the defaults were not set appropriately to the selected options above, now doing that is a problem. Such is life. I'll see if it can be improved
Summed up by:
“Don't go into the business of pleasing people. You can't please everybody. Simply do your best at what you do”
― Bangambiki Habyarimana, The Great Pearl of Wisdom
The key point, Mark, is that 3.12.0 is a huge improvement, and from my perspective anyway appears to cater for much more than everything people have been desperate to see. So forget this tiny matter, after all
“In trying to please all, he had pleased none.”
― Aesop, Aesop's Fables
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I had a quick look anyway.

The only thing that resets the path that I can see is the "I want to use the default web site" check box. If that is checked then the copy destination for the moon image gets overwritten

I'll do two things...

1. Only change the destination when the box is ticked (not cleared - it does it any change presently)
2. Put a clear warning that messing with that button WILL overwrite any existing settings!