Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

The meaning of <#temptrend>

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: Buster Lite on Pi4

The meaning of <#temptrend>

Post by KarlS »

Cumulus in all its versions always offered a webtag called <#temptrend> and <#temptrendtext>. I never looked at the definition of those webtags and just assumed they reflect the current temperature trend. Then I looked at the temperature graph below:
Image1.jpg
Despite the temperature obviously going up after 6:00, the <#temptrend> tag insisted it was going down. At first I thought I had found a bug, but a look at the Wiki defined the webtag as "The average rate of change in temperature over the last three hours." Now, who would have thought? :roll:

I searched on and found <#TempChangeLastHour>. This is still not the information I am looking for. Maybe <#RecentOutsideTemp m=10> is the value I want? Well, not exactly, since it compares a single value to the averaged value of my 10 minutes reporting period. However, it is the best "current" temperature trend I can come up with.

Anyway, if you are using the <#temptrend> tag on your web page, be aware of what it represents!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: The meaning of <#temptrend>

Post by mcrossley »

I believe that is the standard way of measuring the temperature trend in meteorology, the same for pressure trend.
Maybe @freddie can share some more information or a link?

Anything shorter than an hour is going to be very erratic and possibly misleading due to short term fluctuations.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Temperature trend is not an especially useful measurement in meteorology - unlike 3-hourly pressure trend which can be directly related to equations of motion in the atmosphere and is very useful in practical meteorology. So to answer the question, there is no meteorological standard period I know of over which temperature change is measured.
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Thanks, I guess Cumulus used three hours (with 1 hour change value also available) to match the pressure trend then.
KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: Buster Lite on Pi4

Post by KarlS »

Thanks guys for the clarification. Being not a meteorologist I have used this webtag on my (custom) web site for years now and always assumed it was the current temperature trend. Shows you never to assusme! ;)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Well, it *is* the current temperature trend for the last 3 hours expressed as a per hour value. The current trend is always going to be the value now compared against some value in the past, the question is how far into the past. MX provides values for 3 hours and 1 hour.