Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anyone installed Mono on a Raspberry Pi0-W recently?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

whitling2k
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1103
Operating System: Raspberry PiOS

Anyone installed Mono on a Raspberry Pi0-W recently?

Post by whitling2k »

Just wondering, because I have managed to get CumulusMX running with Mono (all latest versions as of the 22/07/21) on a Raspberry Pi4b - but I can't, for love nor money get it running on my Pi Zero with Wifi.

Well, that's a lie - I did have it running for a short time - but only because I unplugged during a long (2+hr) mono install. After which, it unexpectedly sprung into life.

When I tried to install another package, it reminded me that something wasn't right with the Pi OS, and that I needed to run some repairs.

And the repairs ended up reinstalling Mono - and got stuck at the same place again.

Again, I unplugged - then all was running fine until I tried to install another package.

So this time, I have left it going to see if it ever finishes.

Currently it has been running for over 24hrs, and it's the same part of the install that it is stuck at - the process of:

Code: Select all

Mono precompiling /usr/lib/mono/4.5/Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp.dll
Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same position on a Pi zero - and how long it took!
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Re: Anyone installed Mono on a Raspberry Pi0-W recently?

Post by philpugh »

I did an install in late June following the directions in the wiki

Basically:

Install Debian 10
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install mono-complete (you don't need to do any compiling of mono just use the standard version, yes it's a bit behind the latest version - but the version in the Pi Debian 10 repository is more than adequate for the job.

Copy the CumulusMX sw to a directory of choice.

I then created a systemd service as per wiki. You may prefer to test it out first directly from the console so you can edit the CumulusMX config

Below is the first few lines of the diags log - gives you version info:

2021-06-30 21:12:02.124 ========================== Cumulus MX starting ==========================
2021-06-30 21:12:02.164 Command line: /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mono-service.exe -d:/home/pi/CumulusMX CumulusMX.exe -service
2021-06-30 21:12:02.165 Cumulus MX v.3.11.4 build 3133
2021-06-30 21:12:02.179 Platform: Unix
2021-06-30 21:12:02.185 OS version: Unix 5.4.79.0
2021-06-30 21:12:02.190 Mono version: 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019)

It's been running continually since then.

Hope this helps.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
whitling2k

Post by whitling2k »

sudo apt install mono-complete
On the Pi-zero?

This is how I am installing mono-complete on my 0 and 4b. On the 0, it seems to involve a load of precompiling as part of the install.

I have followed the directions on the Wiki to the letter... on the 0 and the Pi4 B.

On the 4b, it installed with no compiling. On the zero, it performed the pre-compiling.

Just to be clear, MX does run, I do have it working - but mono does not fully install correctly (using the above command). The only way I can unfreeze the Pi-0 when installing mono-complete, is to unplug it. I have tried just leaving it - and I'm nearly at 48 hours now.

When unplugging it - It installs fully enough for CumulusMX to run perfectly. But the bodged mono-complete install leaves the OS unable to process further updates or installs of any package, without repairing first. Then when I try repair the process just tries to pre-compile the line in my original post.

This is the error I get when I try to install anything:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
when I run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I get the same problem I get as when I try to install mono-complete.

I'm wondering if the Pi-0 is running out of memory whilst compiling?

It looks very similar to this thread - for a different architecture of course - but same sort of thread - specific distro needs some compiling - which seems to kill low performance devices.
whitling2k

Post by whitling2k »

Sorted it - I upped the size of the swapfile to 512mb and it flew through in 15 mins :D :D :D :D
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

Glad you got it working!
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/