Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Thunderstorm and Heavy Rain In Progress - WD and CumulusMX No Rain Accumulation

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

scudwatcher
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus w/FARS
Operating System: Windows 10

Thunderstorm and Heavy Rain In Progress - WD and CumulusMX No Rain Accumulation

Post by scudwatcher »

Good Day Gentlemen,
My website: https://www.csrawxaq.com is a Saratoga Base USA template with WEATHERLINK.COM plug-in. Currently recorded 2.27 inches daily rainfall. My other website: http://csraweather.org is also a Saratoga Base USA template with WEATHER-DISPLAY plug-in. Currently recording 0.00 inches daily rainfall. My new CumulusMX website: https://csrawxaq.com/index.htm is also recording 0.00 inches rainfall. Current conditions: Thunderstorm w/ heavy rainfall and occasional cloud to ground lightning overhead. Can someone consider assisting me in figuring out why WD and CumulusMX are not recording daily rainfall? My WEATHERLINK LIVE is communicating to WEATHERLINK.COM with no issues. Thank You in advance!!

Billy Tholborn
CSRA Weather and Air Quality
https://www.csrawxaq.com
https://csraweather.org
https://csrawxaq.com/index.htm
Davis VP2 Plus 24 Hour FARS (Wireless) | Davis Weatherlink Live | Meteobridge Pro Red |Saratoga Base USA /Weather Display | Cumulus 1 Legacy | CumulusMX WLL |
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Thunderstorm and Heavy Rain In Progress - WD and CumulusMX No Rain Accumulation

Post by mcrossley »

Please switch on debug and data logging, let Cumulus run for a while and catch some data where a rain tip occurs, then post the latest log file from the MXdiags folder.
scudwatcher

Re: Thunderstorm and Heavy Rain In Progress - WD and CumulusMX No Rain Accumulation

Post by scudwatcher »

Thank You, Mark! I just turned on both as requested. I will let CMX run for awhile, then post latest MXDiags folder later today.
Davis VP2 Plus 24 Hour FARS (Wireless) | Davis Weatherlink Live | Meteobridge Pro Red |Saratoga Base USA /Weather Display | Cumulus 1 Legacy | CumulusMX WLL |
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Odd that both WD and Cumulus are failing to register the rain, possibly a config issue? Anyway let's see what the logs show...
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

Yes, I continue to manually add rainfall totals in WD. I have messaged Brian in regards to that. I have also updated to the latest WD version. Refer to the attached MXDiaglog.zip file for your review. I am sure it's something I did not "tick" or "untick". Also, thank you for your responses and support!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, the problem is that Cumulus is not receiving any multicast data packets from your WLL device.

CMX is sending the request to the WLL to start sending them, and the WLL replies saying it will - on the normal port 22222

But nothing received.

Do you have a firewall on your PC blocking reception for UDP multicast on port 22222 ?

Does your WeatherLink app on your phone switch to "Live" mode when you look at the WLL whilst connected to your WiFi?
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

Hi,

i was just looking at the log and noticed similar issues.

There are sections of the log that look 'normal' but others where the WLL link seems to go off-line for up to 60 seconds at a time. When it receives data it seems to be registering rainfall (e.g. increasing rain in last 24hrs is increasing) and it has registered a start of storm time as well.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

Thank You, Gentlemen for your responses. I do believe that my Amazon EERO Mesh System may be the culprit! I have allowed CMX.exe exception through my AVAST Virus FIREWALL. I am currently running a HP Envy (yeah, WINDOWS 10) laptop with 12GB RAM and Intel Pentium Core I7. Could you please offer instructions on how to do either a Firewall Rule, or Reservations and Port Forwarding? I am in a serious learning curve on this. Otherwise, I may be inclined to call EERO Customer Service. Yes, on my WLL Iphone app, it does go LIVE when I view my station data. Also, I have purchased the Raspberry Pi 4, Model B extreme with 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD Micro card. Ultimately want to set up RBPi4 as "headless". Once I get these "kinks" out. Again, Thank You!
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Post by iandrews »

On my Windows Server I had to go into the firewall settings and allow inbound 22222 for the WLL multicast data packets.

If you have Windows 10, and AVAST Virus FIREWALL then (if it's like Norton on my Windows 10 pc) it controls the firewall, so you probably need to go into AVAST and set up a firewall rule to allow inbound port 22222. I know you said you allowed CMX.exe exception through it, but that's probably outbound, and you need 22222 inbound.
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

Thank You for your quick response, Sir! I will go into Avast and configure inbound Port 22222.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

scudwatcher wrote: Wed 09 Jun 2021 10:55 am Yes, on my WLL Iphone app, it does go LIVE when I view my station data.
Good, that shows the multicast packets are getting through your WiFi router.
scudwatcher wrote: Wed 09 Jun 2021 10:55 am Also, I have purchased the Raspberry Pi 4, Model B extreme with 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD Micro card. Ultimately want to set up RBPi4 as "headless". Once I get these "kinks" out.
The Pi doesn't have a firewall enabled by default, so you shouldn't get this issue there.

Get your Windows firewall sorted and Cumulus (and WD) should start working properly.
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

Well Gentlemen,
I have deleted the AVAST Program and am now only using Windows Defender Firewall. I have configured an inbound rule for port 22222. How can I view that WD and CMX are working properly? MXDiag files, I presume.....or wait until the next rainfall event. Thank you for your support!
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

Gentlemen,
In another issue of mine, I am struggling with the NOAA monthly reports. When I go to NOAA Report settings, I highlight 2021-06 and "8998 says no such file exists" When I try to regenerate report 8998 says "ERROR". The NOAAYR Report is generated, but there is no data. I also spoke with Davis Instruments Technical Support. They stated that WEATHERLINK LIVE does not have an inbound port 22222. WLL has an outbound port 56 something....The port 22222 is an inbound port for the Weatherlink IP. Any of you WLL owners experiencing this? Should I just configure CMX with the Davis VP2 / Weatherlink IP option? In the meantime and as instructed, I have configured inbound port 22222 to allow connection through Windows Defender Firewall......
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

scudwatcher wrote: Wed 09 Jun 2021 4:57 pm How can I view that WD and CMX are working properly? MXDiag files, I presume...
Yes, switch on debug and data logging again (you did remember to switch them off?), then post your latest MXdiags file.
scudwatcher wrote: Wed 09 Jun 2021 5:34 pm I am struggling with the NOAA monthly reports. When I go to NOAA Report settings, I highlight 2021-06 and "8998 says no such file exists" When I try to regenerate report 8998 says "ERROR". The NOAAYR Report is generated, but there is no data.
Because of your firewall issue data hasn't been logged correctly. Once we get the data flowing then the reports should work from that point onwards.

If you have a WL.com Pro subscription, you could rewind and download your missing data from the Davis cloud.
scudwatcher wrote: Wed 09 Jun 2021 5:34 pm I also spoke with Davis Instruments Technical Support. They stated that WEATHERLINK LIVE does not have an inbound port 22222. WLL has an outbound port 56 something....The port 22222 is an inbound port for the Weatherlink IP. .... Should I just configure CMX with the Davis VP2 / Weatherlink IP option?
That is correct, Cumulus is "listening" on port 22222, that is the multicast port the WLL sends data to.
No, do not configure for WeatherLink IP - that will not work.
scudwatcher

Post by scudwatcher »

"Yes, switch on debug and data logging again (you did remember to switch them off?), then post your latest MXdiags file." I did not know to switch them back off, my bad :bash: I switched them off and have restarted CMX. I will switch them back on tomorrow and monitor the MXDiagfiles and post them. Thank You for your responses and support!