Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How to get web page working after v1 -> MX upgrade?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

DanielF
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue, serial logger
Operating System: Win10Pro64

Re: How to get web page working after v1 -> MX upgrade?

Post by DanielF »

PaulMy wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 2:04 pm ...
I was just going through your website data and in the Monthly Records tab noticed some pretty significant records for January:
Temperature and Humidity
High Temperature 73.3 °C at 23:52 on 16 January 2017
Low Temperature -29.3 °C at 13:11 on 17 January 2017
Which I assumed was just some initial weather station setup rogue data.
Paul,

Ah, I see what triggered your comment. No, that wasn't a setup issue, but a faulty Vantage Vue temperature/humidity module. You'd think a weather station would be built to withstand the weather it's measuring, but living right on the seaside with up to 147kph winds blowing salt spray directly onto the house (and thus AWS) eventually gets to almost anything that's not made of 316 stainless steel. The copper tracks on the PCB (yes, under the whole-of-board encapsulation!) were eaten away. I replaced it with a new T/H module.

Thanks for your pointers about the missing web data. When I get back from my interstate trip (EO June) I'll try to find time to look into that and fix it.

Bedtime now (12:40am), so no more replies till later today (Wed). :-)
Daniel
Gerroa ('paradise'), Australia
Gerroa weather
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

PaulMy wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 2:04 pm The CumulusMX js/noaarpts.js file has the default path as
let rptPath = ''; // Your path should have a trailing "/", eg. 'Reports/'
So change that default path to let rptPath = 'yourremotelocation/';
and then the Reports should display.
Paul
Paul,

Having safely returned from two trips to Western Australia (I'm in NSW), I have now found a few minutes to look at these missing data issues. I checked the Historic charts on my website, and they seem to be displaying (though I don't think I did anything specifically to 'fix' them!). But I'm still a bit foggy about the NOAA reports details.

I've enabled the FTP option for NOAA reports, but your comments about the noaarpts.js file are not clear. Having left the FTP destination unchanged (default) in the NOAA setup, presumably my reports will be uploaded to the 'root' weather directory on my weather website. So do I still need to edit the noaarpts.js file?

If so, what exactly do I specify for 'yourremotelocation/'? Is this a fully-specified FTP URL, like
www.mydomain.com.au/public_html/weather_directory/
or something else?

Your help is much appreciated, and has been most helpful so far. :-)
Daniel
Gerroa weather
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Daniel,
Your site is updating and generally ok http://www.advanced-solutions.com.au/Ge ... /index.htm

Re the Reports, I was not able to find the reports in your http://www.advanced-solutions.com.au/Gerroa-Weather nor in http://www.advanced-solutions.com.au/Ge ... er/Reports
Are the reports actually being generated and FTP, and to where?

Your current settings in js/noaareports.js (doing a View Source on your site) is

Code: Select all

let rptPath = '';  // Your path should have a trailing "/", eg. 'Reports/'
So likely rptPath = needs to be edited to the correct remote path i.e. rptPath = 'Reports/' or if not Reports then whatever folder your reports are located.

Your moon image is not yet displaying. Check your CMX Settings => Internet settings => Moon Image [tick] Generate Moon image
and [tick] Upload Moon image file and => FTP folder make sure it is: images/moon.png

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

DanielF wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 2:23 pm Well, I specifically wanted to know the new layout of the realtime.txt file CMX is generating, so my friend can check his reverse-engineering. So my search string was exactly that: realtime.txt. There were at least 20 results (the page count at the bottom invited me to click for 'Next 20', but I declined). The first was headed realtime.txt, so looked like a likely place to start. But that page started with the line: "This page describes a file used only by (the legacy) Cumulus 1.x.y", and was thus totally useless to me. I also tried realtime.txt format and realtime.txt format MX, but still didn't find anything explaining in detail the layout of CMX's realtime.txt file.
Hi Daniel,

Actually, the realtime.txt generated by Cumulus 1 and Cumulus MX are basically the same. I'm running both C1 and MX, and only difference on those files is that my C1 does not populate the last column (feels like). Since I'm running C1 on windows and MX on linux, time separator on finnish locale also differs between those, but that is not Cumulus's fault. The basic difference is, that CMX default website is just not using realtime.txt on anything, so basically it is there only for compatibility, and therefore also not enabled by default afaik. This might also explain why it is not very well documented for MX.

The current MX default website uses realtimegauges.txt which is formatted completely differently, and is human readable and basically documents itself. :) If some of the parameters are not self-explaining, they can be decoded from the webtag names. https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Webtags

But as far as I know the old documentation regarding realtime.txt is still valid. https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Realtime.txt So basically if your friend had a working automation for Cumulus 1, it should work "as is" or at least almost so, if you have set MX to generate realtime.txt. One example of a software written to Cumulus 1 realtime.txt is PWS Watcher for Android, and it is working fine with MX:s realtime.txt. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=fi&gl=US
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Sorry, my error when editing that Wiki page for MX.

First of all, when I wrote what Daniel F quotes on that page that MX did not USE the file, I was trying to explain that no functionality in MX read the file. I did not mean that the Wiki page did not cover MX. I rectified that text a while ago.

Second, it appears 13 months ago, I amended the field list to include Feels Like, when that field was added at 3.7.0, but left the text at start of list saying the list was for 1.9.4.
Now l have properly corrected the Wiki page list of Fields for Real-time.txt.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

PaulMy wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 2:43 pm Re the Reports, I was not able to find the reports in your http://www.advanced-solutions.com.au/Gerroa-Weather...
Thanks again for this, Paul. It seems I might have forgotten to click the 'Save settings' button after changing some settings. :groan: I think I've done that correctly now, so maybe check again after a day or so (I will too). Having now (I think!) enabled NOAA report generation and upload, will CMX generate and upload back-copies of NOAA reports, or only from here on?
PaulMy wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 2:43 pm So likely rptPath = needs to be edited to the correct remote path i.e. rptPath = 'Reports/' or if not Reports then whatever folder your reports are located.
OK, I understand now that this is a relative path from the root FTP directory. I've added a Reports directory to my root, and edited noaarpts.js accordingly.
PaulMy wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 2:43 pm Your moon image is not yet displaying. Check your CMX Settings => Internet settings => Moon Image [tick] Generate Moon image
and [tick] Upload Moon image file and => FTP folder make sure it is: images/moon.png
Thanks for this tip too. I've done that, and now can see the moon image! :)
Daniel
Gerroa weather
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Daniel,
Having now (I think!) enabled NOAA report generation and upload, will CMX generate and upload back-copies of NOAA reports, or only from here on?
If settings are correct, CumulusMX will process and FTP the current year and current month files - NOAAYR2021.txt and NOAAMO0721.txt at the end of day process.
If you have prior year(s) and month(s) then you can one time FTP these to your remote.
You can also (re)generate prior months and year if you have the data, and then one time FTP.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

DanielF

Post by DanielF »

sfws wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:15 pm Now l have properly corrected the Wiki page list of Fields for Real-time.txt.
@sfws, thanks for this update. My friend, who 'scrapes' my realtime.txt data to forward wind readings to a site much-used by wind-surfers and such, has confirmed that his reverse-engineered file-format now agrees with your updated listing.
Daniel
Gerroa weather
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

PaulMy wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 3:12 am If you have prior year(s) and month(s) then you can one time FTP these to your remote.
You can also (re)generate prior months and year if you have the data, and then one time FTP.
Paul,

OK, thanks for the clarifications. I don't have many historic NOAA reports; not something I ever use. So I shan't bother uploading them to the website. I'll just let CMX upload them from here-on.

It's a shame that the current maintainers of CMX have adopted (or perhaps retained, since Sandaysoft did the same – wrong – thing!) a back-to-front date format (MMYY instead of YYMM – or YYMMDD for day files) for report file names, so they don't sort (in a file-manager display) alphanumerically into date order. But beggars can't be choosers! :P
Daniel
Gerroa weather
sfws

Post by sfws »

DanielF wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 5:06 am It's a shame that the current maintainers of CMX have adopted (or perhaps retained, since Sandaysoft did the same – wrong – thing!) a back-to-front date format (MMYY instead of YYMM – or YYMMDD for day files) for report file names, so they don't sort (in a file-manager display) alphanumerically into date order. But beggars can't be choosers!
A) Actually, it was your error when you were in the settings, you can choose to have them sort nicely for you, see Report naming

B) As you guessed, where possible MX has in past retained some Sandaysoft design features, but MX continues to develop and is becoming less compatible with the legacy software, but it is not fair to go into technical details here. To be fair, Cumulus 2 moved to ISO 8601 format of "yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss" and internally MX from the start in its first beta uses that, see Differences between Cumulus 1 and MX, it is only the Cumulus user facing side that has kept some backwards compatibility.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

sfws wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 9:21 am A) Actually, it was your error when you were in the settings, you can choose to have them sort nicely for you, see Report naming
@sfws, thanks for this info. I have now found the NOAA filename format settings, and changed the monthly one to yyyy-MM, and renamed the few existing files (including July's) accordingly. Hopefully CMX will still 'find' the renamed July file when it goes to update it next time.
Daniel
Gerroa weather
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

I don't think the 'reports' page will work if you change the name format :?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
sfws

Post by sfws »

DanielF wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:36 pm I have now found the NOAA filename format settings, and changed the monthly one to yyyy-MM, and renamed the few existing files (including July's) accordingly. Hopefully CMX will still 'find' the renamed July file when it goes to update it next time
Mark was changing a lot of setting pages last month in preparation for his long talked about release 3.12.0.

Since I assume there is more work to prepare that release, perhaps somebody should suggest that Settings → NOAA Settings → Output Files → Monthly filename format could be made easier by splitting into 3 sections: 1) the fixed text in quotes, 2) the C# date formatting, and 3) the other fixed text in quotes.

Looking at the settings page now, I see there is confusion because of the use of quotes, and the information hint is not clear.

There is also confusion because it does not explain the consequences of changing from the default quoted, as per my answer below.
beteljuice wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 1:18 pm I don't think the 'reports' page will work if you change the name format :?
Thank you for this, nobody has ever said this before in either the support forum or the Wiki!

I seem to recall this was discussed during Cumulus 1 days in your topic, although I have not done a new search to check.

I do not actually use the new default web pages, but I checked /opt/CumulusMX/webfiles/js/noaarpts.js.
The relevant file name selection code is

Code: Select all

url: rptPath + 'NOAAMO' + pad2(m) + pad2(y - 2000) + '.txt',
i.e. it accepts 1 or 2 digits for month and pads that to 2 digits with any necessary leading zero, it only accepts 4 digits for year, subtracts "2000" and pads out what remains to 2 digits, and does not allow anyone to change the bits of the file name that are in quotes. This is discussed by Mark here.

So you are right, that is a stupid JavaScript design assumption from Mark Crossley. Mark's MX code in all other places relies on the settings in the configuration file (see https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus.ini#O ... t_Settings), but it appears an undocumented assumption was made here.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

beteljuice wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 1:18 pm I don't think the 'reports' page will work if you change the name format :?
Time will tell...

The local copy of the current month NOAA report has been updated (overnight) since I changed the filename setting and renamed that file (yesterday). But I won't know if CMX uploads it to the website until the end of the month, when (as I understand it) it should normally do the report upload. There are currently no other reports in the website 'Reports/' directory, since I only just enabled the NOAA reports feature a few days ago.

@beteljuice, can you elaborate on why you think it won't work?
Daniel
Gerroa weather
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

@Daniel ...

As sfws rather belaboured the point in his usual style, quite simply the script for creating the reports page will only accept a 'fixed' format for the file names.

(this) Month and (this) year reports are generated each day. - They are the current data upto end yesterday ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !