Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

NOAA reports file copy

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

NOAA reports file copy

Post by freddie »

Does the setting that FTPs NOAA reports to your website also do local copies?
Freddie
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Re: NOAA reports file copy

Post by philpugh »

Local to where?

If you have enabled the reports to be generated there will be a copy of the NOAA reports on your CumulusMX system in the Reports directory. The reports are created as part of the daily 'roll-over' process. It is possible to (re)generate NOAA reports for any historical information stored by your CumulusMX system - see Reports from your CumulusMX local dashboard on how to (re)generate and to view existing reports.

You can FTP them to another system which could be on your local network. The FTP process is generally used to copy them to your web server - which could be local! See the NOAA settings page from the local dashboard.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

It just occurred to me that what you could be asking is - is there is a way to do a 'normal' FTP to webserver AND FTP to a local system (NOT your CumulusSMX system).

I don't think there is an automatic way of doing this (?) You should be able to do it using a Cron job under UN*X or similar under Windows. It would need to be scheduled once a day AFTER the roll-over process in order to get the latest report.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

I meant just doing a copy on the MX host to a web server running on that host. I didn't want the hassle of running an FTP server on the same host. I do this with other MX-generated files - but they all have fixed filenames, unlike the NOAA reports where the filenames vary by month and year.

I could easily do this myself on Linux using system utilities - but it isn't for me, it is for another user running a Windows host.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

freddie wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 9:21 am Does the setting that FTPs NOAA reports to your website also do local copies?
No, and though the Extra web files can use variable names for the current log file, extra log file, and airlink log file. There are no variables for the NOAA reports - that may be a good enhancement suggestion!
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

freddie wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 9:21 am Does the setting that FTPs NOAA reports to your website also do local copies?

Both the legacy Cumulus, and Steve Loft's beta MX, implemented local copy of reports, and other files, if you did not specify a host name. It did a file transfer if you specified all parameters.
This was not documented in the Help provided with the legacy, but it was documented by Steve somewhere as I recall when I moved from a public website to a local web site I was able to switch to local copying of moon image and NOAA reports with Cumulus 1.
For MX beta see this topic for how Steve implemented this. It seems that Mark may have changed how MX works in his additions, so MX only offers file transfer for both moon and NOAA reports.

Bob Moss wrote code to implement a local copy alternative see here for standard files (as they existed at that time) but Mark declined to incorporate it into MX. The timing was off as Mark was already working on a new build at the time, so Bob's suggestion was submitted based on obsolete build, but I suspect Bob never had another try.

Of course MX has changed drastically since that time, but given how many people do have local web sites, maybe Local Copy should be offered by MX if you don't specify host name, just like the legacy.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

sfws wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 3:02 pm For MX beta see this topic for how Steve implemented this. It seems that Mark may have changed how MX works in his additions, so MX only offers file transfer for both moon and NOAA reports.
Nope, the MX source code that Steve released (b3043) had no option for local copy of files if the hostname was blank. So it looks like he removed that feature at some point?
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 4:21 pm Nope, the MX source code that Steve released (b3043) had no option for local copy of files if the hostname was blank. So it looks like he removed that feature at some point?
Thanks, another undocumented action by Steve.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Documentation is a good thing, but it kills as well (experience).
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3