Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Issue upgrading from 3096 to 3122

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

senapsys
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: CentOS

Issue upgrading from 3096 to 3122

Post by senapsys »

Hi there

I just tried to upgrade CumulusMX running on a linux platform from 3096 to 3122. I used the recommended method of making a backup copy of everything and then copying the contents of the new distribution over the top of the old one. After the upgrade everything appeared to work fine and the dashboard at <ip address>:8998 was showing my Davis Vantage Pro2 station as connected and everything looked fine. I then noticed that the Realtime.txt file wasn't being updated.

Interestingly when I then went to the settings drop down menu and selected Internet Settings, the page showed the normal header, the Internet Settings title and then the standard footer but was otherwise blank. None of the usual 15 or so options that you can expand out were showing. I tried restarting CumulusMX and reloading the page but this didn't help.

I ended up rolling back to 3096 and everything is working as expected again and the various options in Internet Settings are appearing.

If anyone has any insight into why I appear to be having this issue, or if there are steps that need to be done before upgrading from 3096 to 3122 it would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Issue upgrading from 3096 to 3122

Post by water01 »

In build 3115 Mark did a major overhaul of the dashboard settings interface so that only the settings pertinent to your station type were shown and also the Internet Settings etc. were regrouped in more logical places. Once you upgrade you have to open Internet settings and go through all the new areas ticking/checking things like realtime upload etc. They are all there they are just in different places.
David
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

You are skipping quite a lot of releases, so you should read Mark's release notices for each in-between build, as the admin interface settings changed over several of the releases you have skipped. The Wiki, also has advice about skipping versions when upgrading
senapsys wrote: Thu 06 May 2021 4:39 am Interestingly when I then went to the settings drop down menu and selected Internet Settings, the page showed the normal header, the Internet Settings title and then the standard footer but was otherwise blank. None of the usual 15 or so options that you can expand out were showing.
You are misunderstanding the way the Admin Interface works. The header, title, and footer, appear when the HTML finishes loading. It is only when MX next processes admin interface APIs that the actual settings are added to the page.

Recent development of MX has also tried to address some issues with multiple threads running. One of the many changes, in the releases you are skipping over, has reduced the frequency at which the API processing thread runs. So in the later release, you may have to wait significantly longer for any settings page to be populated with the settings that are available.
senapsys
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: CentOS

Post by senapsys »

Hi David and sfws

Thanks for replying and for the information and background - very useful. I tried the upgrade again (taking note of the advice on the wiki that was highlighted) and after about 10 minutes the relevant settings were visible and everything is now working perfectly.

Regards

Richard