Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX with GW1000 stopped running

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

CumulusMX with GW1000 stopped running

Post by LindaFNM »

Yesterday morning CumulusMX crashed, I had a message in the terminal window to post the log file, please see attached.

What I don’t understand is why the GW1000 appears to get ‘lost’ every 10 minutes? I tried taking this up with Ecowitt but didn’t get very far. Please does anyone else have this issue, otherwise, not sure what to do about it. I’m not uploading my data to Ecowitt.

I’m now running from the SSD, but the crash happened prior to getting this going.

Thanks for any help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: CumulusMX with GW1000 stopped running

Post by freddie »

Looking at the log file, it doesn't appear that Cumulus crashed - it looks like an orderly shut down at 07:17 on the 2nd. A copy/screenshot of the terminal window would be useful, but too late now.

It appears that Cumulus completely lost contact with the GW1000 around 04:49. Fortunately the error was logged 10 minutes later:

Code: Select all

2021-04-02 05:00:01.298 DoCommand(CMD_READ_SENSOR_ID_NEW): No response received
!!! Unhandled Exception !!!
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
We saw one of these errors the other day, and @mcrossley said it is something that he will change the code to catch in a future release.
Freddie
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Thank you very much for that, I’d failed to notice the earlier report of this occurrence, my apologies.
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

The GW1000 cannot work if it is not connected to the Internet. There are several sentinels and watchdogs that require the Internet.

You've left me with two big clues. You said that you are not uploading to Ecowitt.net and you said that the problem occurs every 10 minutes. I know that the 10 minute mark is when some of these controls occurs.

If you truly require to run the GW1000 without Internet then you'll have to spoof and replicate these controls and systems that the GW1000 is expecting a response from. You can head over to the wxforum.net where this has been discussed in more detail.

But the simple solution is to just put the GW1000 on the Internet if you can.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Thank you, this has been very helpful, and now I’m beginning to understand. If it means things will run properly, I’ll connect it. It is connected to my Wi-fi but I’m assuming I have to physically update to Ecowitt to make things work properly? I very much doubt that I have the skills to spoof anything :D
It’s been fairly slow going getting this far.......

Very grateful for your time, and I’ll look at the wxforum. I was going to try the software but it looked beyond me.