Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP problem which I can't get to the bottom of ...

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

FTP problem which I can't get to the bottom of ...

Post by odintheterrible »

FTP/Update issue as of this morning after update which is driving me nuts !!!!

As of 3 or 4 updates ago, MX now seems to stop working when ever there is a new update available ... which is fair enough.

However, I now have a problem with the FTP updating as the web site for the station seems locked on the 'Conditions at local time: 09:20 on 20 January 2021' which would seem to indicate that the ftp settings are wrong or the time settings on the hosting pc aren't working.

However, the ftp settings in Filezilla work OK and I've entered these settings in the 'settings' section of MX but the web page refuses to update.

My hosting company have confirmed that the ftp settings are OK, so I'm stumped. Can anyone throw any light on a possible cause for this promblem ???

Thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: FTP problem which I can't get to the bottom of ...

Post by freddie »

The FTP component reverted to an earlier version for this release - mentioned in the release announcement. Did you replace the FTP component when you installed the latest?
Freddie
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

freddie refers I think to the SFTP component which has been reverted however it is not clear to me what you use, could as well be FTPS.
Maybe the logfile (with debugging and with ftp) may be useful?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
madsandrup
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 2B

Post by madsandrup »

Hi,

I have also just updated my CMX installation to v3.9.5 and SFTP stopped working to my Synology.
Now I have changed CMX to use FTPS and enabled that on my server and it works again.
So it seems to be broken...

Edit: I have updated Renci.SshNet
odintheterrible

Greetings to those who took the trouble to respond,

However, I have no idea what you are referring to re the ftp component change.

MX is hosted on a stand alone pc which is connected to the output from the weather station and then uploads via ftp to the web space/account. It has always work perfectly without need of any form of tinkering.

Filezilla's ftp settings work but when I use the same settings in MX's settings section then the upload appears not to happen.

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

@odintheterrible: I still think it would be useful to see the logs with debug and ftp logging on otherwise we're kind of blind.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
odintheterrible

"The FTP component reverted to an earlier version for this release - mentioned in the release announcement. Did you replace the FTP component when you installed the latest?"

I see no reference in the release announcement about change to the FTP component ... and even if I did, I wouldn't know what on earth you were referring to.

Once upon a time, CUMULUS was a simple piece of software that worked well and was easy to update and maintain. It now appears that you need to be a software geek in order to use the thing!

freddie

Post by freddie »

odintheterrible wrote: Thu 21 Jan 2021 1:43 pm "The FTP component reverted to an earlier version for this release - mentioned in the release announcement. Did you replace the FTP component when you installed the latest"
Yes, I was mistaken when I made this suggestion, and I apologise for any confusion. It was indeed the SFTP/FTPS component that had changed, not the FTP component - as @Hansr pointed out a few posts back in this topic.

I disagree with your assertion that you have to be a "software geek" to use MX. It is true that Cumulus used to be simpler to install - but that was because it was a Windows-only program which restricted its usage. Nowadays you can install MX on virtually any platform, which is a good thing. However, it does lack a dedicated installer program now - but that is something that @Hansr has been looking into (there is a topic covering this elsewhere on the forum).

Lack of dedicated installer aside, @steve and @mcrossley (and others) have worked extremely hard to keep installation as simple as possible - by using common formats (zip file) and by keeping installation instructions clear and up to date.

By following the installation instructions you won't be tripped up by additions of new components, or reversions to old components. This doesn't require any software geek skills.

To summarise: Cumulus 1 was very easy to install; MX is not so simple, but is still pretty straightforward.

BTW: if you could post your log files (found in the MXdiags folder in your installation) then it will make it easier to get back to diagnosing your issue.
Freddie
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Once upon a time, CUMULUS was a simple piece of software that worked well and was easy to update and maintain. It now appears that you need to be a software geek in order to use the thing!
To summarise: Cumulus 1 was very easy to install; MX is not so simple, but is still pretty straightforward.
I disagree :) and I am far from a software geek, just the opposite. Yes Cumulus1 is very good and quite easy to install but in my use on Windows, CumulusMX is the easiest and very straightforward. Just unzip in to a folder, run, and all ready for settings. For updates, just unzip the MXdistxxxx.zip and all ready to run. You can remove an install just by deleting the folder, and no need to remove from the Windows control panel. CumulusMX can have more than one install if you want to do some testing.

On the issue at hand, enabling FTP logging and looking at the log and MXdiags may give some clue.
Is this you? https://jotados.eu/cumulus/index.htm and this seems to be current.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

freddie

Post by freddie »

PaulMy wrote: Thu 21 Jan 2021 3:52 pmYou can remove an install just by deleting the folder, and no need to remove from the Windows control panel.
You could do this with Cumulus 1 too - see this thread.
Freddie