Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX support for MySQL 8.0.X

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

stefanbagnato
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows Server 2019

CumulusMX support for MySQL 8.0.X

Post by stefanbagnato »

I've been working on upgrading multiple pieces of software....MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, ect. For each MySQL upgrade, I initially spin it up on a non-default port and configure all the settings. I then adjust the cumulus.ini to that "other" port and use the UI to create the monthly, dayfile, and realtime tables. Once I am ready, I switch the new version of MySQL to 3306, confirm the tables are updating, then move the "old" tables to the new instance.

I've followed this process from MySQL 5.6.X (yes, I was way behind) to 5.7.1, then to 5.7.31 where I am currently running. I've installed and spun up 8.0.22, however, I am following the exact same process as before and Cumulus will not connect. I can switch the php.ini port to the non-default port and connect just fine. But, when I update my Cumulus.ini to this port, I immediately start seeing "Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061): Authentication failed." in the mxdiags. I've reverted back and gone through the steps a dozen times to make sure I am not doing something dumb.

When installing 8, I didn't follow the same process as earlier, IE starting with the base version, then stepping up. So, two questions...is CumulusMX compatible with MySQL 8.0.X, and if so, should I be using an older version than the latest and greatest?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: CumulusMX support for MySQL 8.0.X

Post by mcrossley »

I run MariaDB 10.3 which is the equivalent of MySQL 8.0 I believe, and it works fine.
stefanbagnato
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows Server 2019

Post by stefanbagnato »

Hm good to know. Honestly I might spin up a vm, install Cumulus and MySQL 8.0.22 there and play with it. I can also step down to the oldest stable 8.0.X version (8.0.11 I think?) and see. I don't want to keep messing with my data since switching the config in Cumulus of course will stop the live data upload.

If anybody else happens to be running MySQL 8.0 or an equivalent, please let me know.
Derekk19
Weather Station: WS1083
Operating System: Debian Buster

Post by Derekk19 »

How did you get on with this? I am running a very new CumulusMX (3.10.5 build 3122). I have a separate server running Debian Buster and MySQL 8.0.18. I can connect to this server from my CumulusMX machine (Which is a Raspberry pi also running Debian Buster) using the mysql command-line. However CumulusMX gives me an "Authentication failed" error all the time. I have double checked my host, port, user and pass settings. I suspect it could be a mono issue and maybe the old devart library

I don't have a Windows machine, or I'd be debugging the Visual Studio code (I was a Windows dev way back).
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Is your MySQL configured to use secure connections?
Derekk19
Weather Station: WS1083
Operating System: Debian Buster

Post by Derekk19 »

I haven't disabled SSL, if that's what you're asking. I use SQL Workbench from my Mac and that connects OK (though if I disabled SSL on MySQL server it don't connect - so I assume that SQL Workbench is requiring SSL). I have not copied any certs however so while SSL is enabled I don't believe it is being used. Note that I can connect using the mysql command line from the same Raspberry Pi that is running CumulusMX and using the same user/pass, database, port and server as I have configured CumulusMX
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I looked at updating the Devart component, there are newer versions available, but none of the free versions support TLS on MySQL 8.0. I'm not prepared to pay $100's for the full package, so its time to migrate to something new - probably as well as it will be easier to maintain a current version if it is NuGet based rather than a download like Devart...
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

I am currently looking into https://mysqlconnector.net/, so far looks OK, just have difficulty reading the records into variables :lol: .
Can't say more because I am diverted by two other things at the moment, sorry.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yeah, I have already switched the next build to MySqlConnector - it seems to work well.
just have difficulty reading the records into variables
It is pretty much a drop-in replacement, the main difference being how you define the connection, after that existing code should work fine, though you may want to look a async methods if you aren't already.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

I have no existing code :lol:
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3