Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

An effort for a CMX installer

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: 64bit Bookworm on Pi4

Re: An effort for a CMX installer

Post by KarlS »

@HansR

Yes, as you suggested it is a mono problem. The Ubunu Bionic 18.04 LTS version only supports version 4.6

Code: Select all

karl@192.168.8.120:~$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 4.6.2 (Debian 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           normal
        SIGSEGV:       normal
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug 
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen
However, upgrading to the current version is not possible for older processor architectures. On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on an ARM64 architecture, the current mono version is 6.8

karl@karl-Inspiron-1420:~$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-2 Wed Feb 26 23:23:50 UTC 2020)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
	TLS:           __thread
	SIGSEGV:       altstack
	Notifications: epoll
	Architecture:  amd64
	Disabled:      none
	Misc:          softdebug 
	Interpreter:   yes
	LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
	Suspend:       hybrid
	GC:            sgen (concurrent by default)
and the InstallCMX program runs as expected. But not being able to upgrade to the latest mono version on older or non-standard architectures or in other Linux flavours is a problem.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

You can upgrade mono -- just pin your apt setting to a later version. I have done this on Ubuntu 20.04. Google is your friend :)
Freddie
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

@karlS: OK, thanks, that is clear. Maybe if you can't jump to mono 6.8 you might want to try mono 5.4 like I do as some kind of intermediate solution. Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help, It is impossible for me to test all permutations of Linux and mono. Downgrading the development environment to below mono 5.4 I don't see as an option. The future is a one way street, sorry for that ;)

But I am happy to hear it runs on all your other systems, thanks for verifying :D
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

@all and FYI: I just updated my operational installation of CMX on the RPI with this InstallCMX procedure to build 3101.
Took me 2 minutes including the download and moving the archive to my working directory on the RPI. Everything is working fine.

I'll move it to the CumulusUtils part of the show in it's own release thread at the end of this week with version number 1.0.0

Any further comments are of course welcome.
Hans

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans,
As you may recall I have more than one CumulusMX installed with my WiFiLogger and WLL devices. I tried v0.1.1 and it gave me an option to select 3 folders:
1. C:\&Recycle.bin (which contains a discarded CumulusMXtest version)
2. C:\KomokaWeather\ (where I have more than one CumulusMXxxx installs)
3. C:\Downloads_from_Acer2 (which is a copy of my old Windows8 PC that I have on my newer Windows10 PC for quick access of various files)
Item 2 is the only one I would want to use but it didn't define the specific C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest folder that I want to use.
I didn't want to accidently overwrite those other CumulusMX installs so Exit the InstallCMX.

I know you have improved the current version to work for multi-install users.
If I had selected number 2 would it then have given me a further option to select the CumulusMXtest folder?
In the previous InstallCMX it immediately gave me the option to accept the default or alternately to enter the full path to \CumulusMXtest\
Thanks,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
KarlS
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 / WH32 / WH41
Operating System: 64bit Bookworm on Pi4

Post by KarlS »

@Freddie
You can upgrade mono -- just pin your apt setting to a later version
Excellent! Good to know :D

@HansR
Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help, It is impossible for me to test all permutations of Linux and mono
My production system is a Pi4, with a Win10 machine as backup. But I have a lot of computers of all ages and OS's just sitting around that I can use for testing. So that is what I did ... Thanks for your program. I used it to update to b3101 this morning :clap:
HansR

Post by HansR »

KarlS wrote: Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:35 pm Thanks for your program. I used it to update to b3101 this morning
Thanks, great to hear :D
PaulMy wrote: Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:28 pm Hi Hans,
As you may recall I have more than one CumulusMX installed with my WiFiLogger and WLL devices. I tried v0.1.1 and it gave me an option to select 3 folders:
1. C:\&Recycle.bin (which contains a discarded CumulusMXtest version)
2. C:\KomokaWeather\ (where I have more than one CumulusMXxxx installs)
3. C:\Downloads_from_Acer2 (which is a copy of my old Windows8 PC that I have on my newer Windows10 PC for quick access of various files)
Item 2 is the only one I would want to use but it didn't define the specific C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest folder that I want to use.
I didn't want to accidently overwrite those other CumulusMX installs so Exit the InstallCMX.
Hi Paul,

I had already expected not to get away so easily with your machine ;)
  • I assume you mean 0.5.1 and not 0.1.1 Just to be sure
  • That is interesting to see the recycle bin as well, did not expect that. Anyway, I'll just leave it there, it's a good reminder to clear it once in a while (which is good for performance)
  • Regard no 3) then just as a reminder. I check on the executable file so if you have some leftovers you will see them there. It is not up to me to decide which CMX's are valid and which are not.
Now we get to the KomokaWeather directory.

What I wanted to prevent is installations like CumulusMX/CumulusMX. A kind of Installation of CMX in andother CMX directory tree. That is something I will not implement nor detect. It is too confusing. Let's call this "serial installation"

But your situation is muliple CMX installations on the same directory level, let's call those "parallel installs". You do it in KomokaWeather directory but it could also have been the root. I did not work that one out and will look at it. It is a refinement. I assume that in c:\\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest the whole CMX tree resides so the first directory would be CumulusMX leading to:

KomokaWeather --- CumulusMXtest --- CumulusMX --- backup
                                              --- data
                                              --- 
                                              --- web
                                              --- webfiles
You probably leave the CumulusMX directory level out and put the files directly into CumulusMXtest
It is created like this because the CumulusMX is in the Archive and I simply unpack the archive on the place the user wants. In your case it gets one level extra which is probably not what you want. If you accept the CumulusMX level there is no problem, I just need to find the other parallel installs. If you don't want the CumulusMX level added, then there is a problem.
PaulMy wrote: Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:28 pm If I had selected number 2 would it then have given me a further option to select the CumulusMXtest folder?
No there would not have been further selections.
PaulMy wrote: Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:28 pm In the previous InstallCMX it immediately gave me the option to accept the default or alternately to enter the full path to \CumulusMXtest\
But yes the selection/modification option is still there because before installation you have to confirm or alter the installation directory. I doubt that will help in your case because it will always give the extra level. So it won't overwrite other Cumulus installs but it won't update the existing install either because it would create a serial installation.

I hope I described it well and not too complex.
I suggest we take this off line for further explanation/discussion to see what can be done.
I'll think about it and let you know what can be done without complicating it too much.
Last edited by HansR on Thu 21 Jan 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Hans and thanks,
I assume you mean 0.5.1 and not 0.1.1 Just to be sure
Correct, I should have said InstallCMXv051.
I assume that in c:\\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest the whole CMX tree resides so the first directory would be CumulusMX leading to:
Correct the initial InstallCMX versions unzipped and placed the whole install in C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest\CumulusMX\ unlike my usual way where I have just the files and folders in a folder such as C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMX\ and another as C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXwll\
Like you mention you wanted, I also would prefer to have InstallCMX to unzip the contents in C:\KomokaWeather\CumulusMXtest\ but then, as I understand it, I would have to place InstallCMX.exe in the C:\KomokaWeather\ folder as well as the CumulusMXDist3101.zip which I don't like to do.

Sorry to complicate with my specific configurations but I have them that way for quick and easy updates of CumulusMX as well as CUtils and MXUIwebsite templates.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Paul: OK, thanks, I'll get back to you (and won't publish a version 1.0 until this works correctly)
PaulMy wrote: Wed 20 Jan 2021 10:06 pm Sorry to complicate with my specific configurations but I have them that way for quick and easy updates of CumulusMX as well as CUtils and MXUIwebsite templates.
Don't be, nothing else to do since we're here in a lockdown with curfew because of the English virus variant (Brexit did not not help, did it :lol: , and South-African and Brasilian variants btw). Great time to solve some issues :geek: :mrgreen:

I'll be in touch.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

The Multiplatform Installer for CumulusMX has reached version 1.0.0 and has now its own release thread at the CumulusUtils subforum. Any remarks should be made there, this thread is considered closed.
Hans